Welcome to our new Citrix community!

Migrating machines to a new host connection?

tylital520

Question

Hi,

we need to migrate our existing ESXi-hosts to a new vCenter. Because of this, we also need a new host connection. We are currently using MCS as a way to provision application servers and persistent/non-persistent desktops.

Here's how I am planning to do this:

1. Disconnect one of the ESXi-hosts from current vCenter, and connect it to the new Cluster in new vCenter.
2. Define a new host connection in Studio (make sure vCenter certificate is installed on Controllers).
3. Create a test machine via the new host connection.
4. Check the HypervisorConnectionUid of new host connection: https://support.citrix.com/article/CTX140486
5. Delete non-persistent machine catalogs from old vCenter.
5. Disconnect more ESXi-hosts from current vCenter, and connect them to the new Cluster in new vCenter.
6. Re-create non-persistent machine catalogs to new host connection from master image.
6. If persistent desktops, update the HypervisorConnectionUid to the migrated persistent machines.

Do you see any problems in the process?

5 answers to this question

Hi James, 

thanks for the reply. So I'll just remove the machines from the existing catalog, create a new manual catalog under new host connection, add the machines there, and then also create a new delivery group. I guess there isn't really any need for hacks and cracks after this?

On 7/14/2020 at 2:54 AM, tylital520 said:

Hi James, 

thanks for the reply. So I'll just remove the machines from the existing catalog, create a new manual catalog under new host connection, add the machines there, and then also create a new delivery group. I guess there isn't really any need for hacks and cracks after this?

Hello,

You will not need to create new Delivery Group, you can just add to existing the machine from new Machine Catalog.

Thanks

15 hours ago, Arnaud Pain said:

Hello,

You will not need to create new Delivery Group, you can just add to existing the machine from new Machine Catalog.

Thanks

This doesn't seem to be possible because the original Machine Catalog's Provisioning Method is "Machine Creation Services" whereas the new is "Manual". I don't think it's possible to mix different types of machine catalogs to same Delivery Group.

5 hours ago, tylital520 said:

This doesn't seem to be possible because the original Machine Catalog's Provisioning Method is "Machine Creation Services" whereas the new is "Manual". I don't think it's possible to mix different types of machine catalogs to same Delivery Group.

Hello,

That's correct you cannot mix provisioning type in same Delivery Group, I did not see in your question that you were changing provisioning method.

Thanks