Welcome to our new Citrix community!

OneDrive on Server 2019 with files always set to online only.

Christopher Yue

Question

Environment

CVA 1909

Publishing Server 2019 server Desktops

Office 365 Pro Plus

FSLogix Profile Containers

Whilst it is possible to install OneDrive on Server 2019, I am concerned about the potential growth with the VHDX file.

It is possible to enforce all files in OneDrive to be cloud based (online only) rather than have the user choose otherwise?

Read somewhere storage sense might help but I could be wrong.

Any advice would be welcome.

4 answers to this question

2 hours ago, Christopher Yue said:

Environment

CVA 1909

Publishing Server 2019 server Desktops

Office 365 Pro Plus

FSLogix Profile Containers

Whilst it is possible to install OneDrive on Server 2019, I am concerned about the potential growth with the VHDX file.

It is possible to enforce all files in OneDrive to be cloud based (online only) rather than have the user choose otherwise?

Read somewhere storage sense might help but I could be wrong.

Any advice would be welcome.

In general you can control OneDrive with Windows Group Policies: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/onedrive/use-group-policy

Please check the "Use OneDrive Files On-Demand" policy:

If you enable this setting, new users who set up the sync app see online-only files in File Explorer, by default. File contents don't download until a file is opened.

I have the same concern. pretty much the same configuration as you describe. we would like to enable Sync to SharePoint also.

The general concern is that as users save files to their one drive folders (within FSLOGIX Disks) they are stored locally on the disk and in One Drive. Is there a script or something that can be used on Server 2019 and One Drive to find files older than x days and set them to Online Only? essentially performing the R-Click "Free Up Space" command a user would do?

Our FSLogixs disks are big enough already.