Welcome to our new Citrix community!

How to update PV drivers when latest agent installed?

Stephen Borrill

Question

If you install the XenServer/Hypervisor tools and choose to disable update of the PV drivers, but leave agent updates enabled, you end up with the situation that you have the latest agent, but old PV drivers. It is then rather hard to manually update the PV drivers during a planned maintenance cycle.

If you run the management agent installer, it says it is already installed and only gives the option to repair or remove it.  Repair does not do anything. Removing and re-installing is a possibility, but seems overkill. (On a couple of machines which have installed 9.0.0.33 automatically, repair and remove fail when run from the PV Tools Setup as they report "The specified account already exists").

Trying to manually update drivers (e.g. for xeniface) through Device Manager doesn't seem to work. It reports that the "best driver software for your devices is already installed" even when pointed at the C:\Program Files\Citrix\XenTools\Drivers\XenIface\x64 which contains 9.1.0.4 (9.0.0.11 is the installed version).

Temporarily setting HKLM\SOFTWARE\Citrix\XenTools\AutoUpdate to YES and restarting the Citrix Hypervisor PV Driver Installer service (or rebooting the whole VM) has no effect.

The only way I've found is to achieve this is to uninstall the tools from Programs and Features and then reinstall (it appears to be safe to skip the recommended reboot between). I was hoping for a command I could run to trigger the same I/OI driver update cycle that a fresh installation does (e.g. a flag passed to managementagentupdater.exe)

5 answers to this question

9 hours ago, Alan Lantz said:

Installing VM Tools 9.0.33 as opposed to 7.2.0.1555 should be all you need to do to get the xeniface to update properly.

Maybe I'm missing something ?

You're missing that 9.0.33 has already installed itself automatically (it leaves 7.2.0.1555 installed anyway). I'm asking how to trigger a PV drivers update once this has happened

6 hours ago, Tobias Kreidl said:

Yes, the PV drivers are incorporated as part of XenTools. Why would you want to disable the updating of the PV drivers? Which version of XenServer/Citrix Hypervisor are you on?

I guess you must have lived a charmed life if you wonder why you wouldn't want the PV drivers self-updating :-)

Problems like:

- interaction with PVS target device

- VM losing IP address settings

- VM getting knocked off-line while awaiting a reboot

Just to make it clear, I'm talking about the situation where you originally installed (say) 7.2.0.1555, got it to install I/O drivers at the time, allowed automatic management agent updates, but disallowed automatic I/O driver updates by the management agent (as per screenshot). I'm not talking about manually installing the tools, but choose not to install I/O drivers. When you do this, the agent will update to 9.0.33, but you will still have old I/O drivers.

Capture.PNG

2 hours ago, Stephen Borrill said:

You're missing that 9.0.33 has already installed itself automatically (it leaves 7.2.0.1555 installed anyway). I'm asking how to trigger a PV drivers update once this has happened

I guess you must have lived a charmed life if you wonder why you wouldn't want the PV drivers self-updating :-)

Problems like:

- interaction with PVS target device

- VM losing IP address settings

- VM getting knocked off-line while awaiting a reboot

Just to make it clear, I'm talking about the situation where you originally installed (say) 7.2.0.1555, got it to install I/O drivers at the time, allowed automatic management agent updates, but disallowed automatic I/O driver updates by the management agent (as per screenshot). I'm not talking about manually installing the tools, but choose not to install I/O drivers. When you do this, the agent will update to 9.0.33, but you will still have old I/O drivers.

Capture.PNG

same here. a good amount of Servers, acutally all with a static ip address, lost their IP Configuration and were waiting for a restart. This was a big disater in our enviroment. The Update also enabled TCPIP6 and Netbis on all adapters which we had to disable manaully.

The  Agent Update did create new network adapters instead of updating the existing ones which would not have been a big problem as long as it does migrate the netsettings.

We are not happy how the Agent does handle the automatic updates. we had less problems with the VMs which obtain Citrix Updates via Windows Updates due to timed restarts. Anyway, we do not want this to happen again and we would like to find the best way to disable any kind of automatic citrix updates (agent or windows update). Should we disable it by pool policy or on the VMs itself?

We will install the Updates manually via PDQ which will force uninstalling all existing Citrix Agents prior installing the new one. Furthermore it will delete the ghost network devices which also tend to create issues sometimes during patching citrix drivers.

Having both the 7.2.0.1555 and PV 9.0.33 installed is also causing high cpu and memory usage, agent taking 20GB of memory for example, so I advise you uninstalling the 7.2.0.1555 agent

agentmemory.JPG

poolversion.JPG

Hi,

You have to allow the VM to update/install driver

reg.exe ADD HKLM\SOFTWARE\Citrix\XenTools\AutoUpdate /t REG_SZ /v \InstallDrivers /d yes

Then tripper the Management Update procedure

%PROGRAMFILES%\Citrix\XenTool\ManagementAgentupdater .exe CHECK

logfile in C;\ProgramData\Citrix\XenUpdater

The machine needs Internet connectivity (unless you have redirected the Updater per Pool/Vm to your internal webserver)

kind regards