Welcome to our new Citrix community!

Load Balancing Method

Hi All, 

Please help me to choose correct load balancing method as per this requirement - " method that determines whether a node’s/server's performance is currently improving or declining. The servers with performance rankings that are currently improving, rather than declining, receive a higher proportion of the connections".  (Here i am referring "Predictive" LB method , Predictive-Node and Predictive-Member from F5 as in course of migration from F5 to Netscaler).

Is any of these ADC methods -  LRTM or LEASTBANDWIDTH or LEASTRESPONSETIME functioning as required above. If not...please advise. 

Require the same information for FASTEST(application) method of F5 - The methods select a server based on the least number of current outstanding sessions.. I understand this should be "LRTM" in ADC ...

Second, Query is related to COOKIE persistence profile. I am looking for COOKIE profile on basis of Session (from a single source) but  not on Single Source IP with everytime.  Please suggest.

To my undestanding NS does not have predictive inteligence but has different methods to determine proper load distribution algorhythms. 

In your case could use LTRM (using monitor to measure response time) or LEASTRESPONSETIME (using real traffic to measure TTFB) - as you'd like to serve content from best responding server.

LTRM - https://docs.citrix.com/en-us/citrix-adc/13/load-balancing/load-balancing-customizing-algorithms/lrtm-method.html

LEASTRESPONSETIME - https://docs.citrix.com/en-us/citrix-adc/13/load-balancing/load-balancing-customizing-algorithms/leastresponsetime-method.html

You can enable COOKIEINSERT persistance method to acheive persistence on per session basis. Every session (not only user, but also different browser) will get own Cookie. If you're using SSL - SSLSESSION persistance is also an option. If you have many sessions cookie option might be better as it does not require NS to store information in persistance table. 

I'm not sure what you want expanded on, but here's a start.

When you set persistence to Cookie, you also have a persistence timeout field.  (If you are in GUI 12.1 or later, after initially configured field isn't shown in GUI unless you change persistence and change back; when you initially set it you see other cookie fields).

1) If cookie is set to an integer 2-1440, then you are configuring lb persistence to be tracked client side in a persistent cookie for the time frame specified. 2 min to 24 hours (1440 min).  The cookie and persistence in general is an idle timeout. If the user interacts with the site within the timeout period, the cookie and therefore persistence is extended. If the user sits idle and the persistence time is exceeded, the next request will be a new lb decision.

Under normal circumstances, the persistence in cookies is still tracked by different browsers separately.  You stay in one browser and close/open the browser, the persistence decision will persist between browser instances for that client. You switch browsers and firefox is going to have a separate cookie than chrome.  Cookie persistence is still set per client making the connection.

2) If you set the cookie timeout to 0. Then the ADC will set a session/transient cookie for tracking persistence.  This will last for this browsers duration and has no max timeout.  But if you close all instances of a given browser, then the cookie will be discarded.  You will still have different cookies per browser on the same client.

So for your cookie requirement in the original post, cookies are  set per client AND vary based on browser on that client.

Now you just have to decided if you need the idle timeout and a persistent cookie OR no timeout/browser session cookie.