Welcome to our new Citrix community!

Browser Content Redirection with PAC file not working

Rami Nucho1709152704

Question

I have configured BCR as per Citrix doc: https://docs.citrix.com/en-us/citrix-virtual-apps-desktops/multimedia/browser-content-redirection.html?_ga=2.229444696.550163626.1591521234-2066527038.1591062523

HDXBrowser.exe never appears to run the client endpoint.

Environment:

• Windows 10 1909 
  • VDA 7.15 CU5 with the disable HTML5 Feature switch
  • BCR MSI installed
  • BCR GPO's applied
  • Chrome Browser BCR extension installed, tried IE as well
  • Workspace App 1912, tried 2002 as well.

On the VDA I see the registry key applied [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432node\Citrix\HDXMediaStream] all with the correct values as per GPO policy.

We are using a PAC file for proxy. I have been advised that Proxy PAC file is not supported with BCR. Has anyone had any luck using PAC file with BCR or know of any exclusions that can be put in place.

7 answers to this question

On 6/7/2020 at 5:48 AM, Rami Nucho1709152704 said:

I have configured BCR as per Citrix doc: https://docs.citrix.com/en-us/citrix-virtual-apps-desktops/multimedia/browser-content-redirection.html?_ga=2.229444696.550163626.1591521234-2066527038.1591062523

HDXBrowser.exe never appears to run the client endpoint.

Environment:

• Windows 10 1909 
  • VDA 7.15 CU5 with the disable HTML5 Feature switch
  • BCR MSI installed
  • BCR GPO's applied
  • Chrome Browser BCR extension installed, tried IE as well
  • Workspace App 1912, tried 2002 as well.

On the VDA I see the registry key applied [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432node\Citrix\HDXMediaStream] all with the correct values as per GPO policy.

We are using a PAC file for proxy. I have been advised that Proxy PAC file is not supported with BCR. Has anyone had any luck using PAC file with BCR or know of any exclusions that can be put in place.

Pac file is not supported in 7.15 (any cu).

You need CVAD 2003 or 1912 CU1.

11 hours ago, Rami Nucho1709152704 said:

What is the source of info for CVAD 2003 or 1912 CU1. Citrix Support have advised the same behaviour on all versions.

https://docs.citrix.com/en-us/citrix-virtual-apps-desktops/multimedia/browser-content-redirection.html

Server fetch and client render: Citrix Workspace app contacts and fetches content from the web server through the VDA using a virtual channel (CTXPFWD). This option is useful when the client doesn’t have internet access (for example, thin clients). Low CPU and RAM consumption on the VDA, but bandwidth is consumed on the ICA virtual channel.

There are three modes of operation for this scenario. The term proxy refers to a proxy device that the VDA accesses to gain Internet access.

Which policy option to choose:

Explicit Proxy - If you have a single explicit proxy in your Datacenter.

Direct or Transparent - If you do not have proxies, or if you use transparent proxies.

PAC files - If you rely on PAC files so browsers in the VDA can automatically choose the appropriate proxy server for fetching a specified URL.

Thanks for confirming Fernandok,:91_thumbsup:

Support have now advised PAC file support is included in 1912 CU1, Detailed in Bug fix [CVADHELP-14134]

https://docs.citrix.com/en-us/citrix-virtual-apps-desktops/1912-ltsr/whats-new/cumulative-update-1/fixed-issues.html

Content Redirection
When you configure the browser content redirection policy in Server Fetch and Client Render mode, you route traffics only through a statically configured web proxy.

[CVADHELP-14134]

Time to start planning on upgrading to 1912 CU1 

@Rami Nucho1709152704 Did you have success with 1912CU1 and pac file configuration?

@Fernando Klurfan1709153904

Not having much luck in pac file configuration on VDA 1912CU1. If I remove pac file policy, it works for sites that don't require server fetch like YouTube, trailers.appple.com etc.

I need to use Teams with BCR and traffic needs to be routed for authentication via our proxy pac configuration.  

Any thoughts?