Welcome to our new Citrix community!

Migration - 7.15 LTSR (with MCS) -> 1912 LTSR (MCS) + Upgrade vSphere

Question

Hello togther, 

I hope you can help me. 

I have two things to do.  

Firstly, I want upgrade my vmware vsphere from 6.7 to 7 but we use a 7.15 LTSR with MCS and without any CU on the 7.15 Version. My Question if this is possible? I can't find any kind of support matrix of vmware 7 in combination with my Citrix Version. 

Secondly, I want migrate the 7.15 LTSR to 1912 LTSR on a new operating system. Also I want migrate the database from a 2008 SQL Server to an 2017 SQL server.  Can someone tell me which are the best way to migrate without any kind of impact? And it is possible to do this without an downtime for the users ? 

Kind regards
Giuseppe 

4 answers to this question

Hi

Please check this here for matrix of vmware.

This is the upgrade process from by Citrix

Upgrade

image.thumb.png.5e884f89bed98496800da5d36e39b86e.png

You want to 7.15 LTSR to 1912 LTSR and  2008 SQL Server to an 2017 SQL server. So you are performing two major task so there maybe some downtime but itdepend how is your current 7.15 LTSR setup and how follow the upgrade process.

I would recommend build new Citrix farm and switch over over you are ready. This will give you rollback option and lot less step compare to in-place upgrade,

Hello, 

first, thanks for the answer.

My idear was to upgrade the Citrix Version to 7.15 to 7.15 CU5. After the complete upgrade to move the "upgraded" database from the sql server 2008 to sql server 2017. Then I will Upgrade again the Citrix Version from 7.15CU5 to 1912 LTSR.  Then I add a new Delivery controller on basic OS 2016/2019. And the I will remove the 2008R2 Delivery Controller from the Citrix Farm. 

Kind regards
Giuseppe

Hi,

As per as Carl's note

You can in-place upgrade directly from any Delivery Controller version 7.0 or newer. Citrix recommends upgrading Delivery Controller 5.6 to 7.6 LTSR Cumulative Update 6 before upgrading to 1912 Cumulative Update 1.

https://docs.citrix.com/en-us/citrix-virtual-apps-desktops/1912-ltsr/upgrade-migrate/upgrade.html

You don't need to 7.15 to 7.15 CU5 and 7.15CU5 to 1912 LTSR. Yes for SQl part you can follow the process as you mention above.

Thanks 

Manoj

Hello, 

you mean upgrading from current 7.15.0 Citrix directly to 1912 LTSR. But in the system requirements from 1912 LTSR is a Server 2008 R2 not supported/listed. So I have to change my upgrade strategy. 

Firstly, I will remove one of two delivery controller from initial setup. The removed server I will also remove from domain so that I can re-use his hostname for new server. Advantage was that the I have nothing to change regarding the configuration of VDA's. Correct ? 

Secondly, I will install a new server on new operating system (2016/2019) with the Hostname of the removed server how already  methoed. Add this server to current Citrix Farm based on 7.15.

Thirdly, I will do the same steps with remaing 2008 7.15 LTSR Server.

Fourthly, I will move the database from sql server 2008 to sql server 2017. 

Last but not least, I will do the upgrade from 7.15 to 1912. And correct me if I go wrong only the last of my steps will create a downtime. Because the deattachment from the database from the citrix delivery controller have not an impact on the current session because local host cache are active. 

You know if I have to deattach the Database from only on Citrix Delivery Controller or from all Citrix Delivery controller on the farm?

kind regards
Giuseppe