Welcome to our new Citrix community!

MS Teams still spiking CPU on VDA 1912CU1

Question

Hi Team,

Need some guidance here with MS Teams running in Citrix. I called into Citrix and opened a ticket and have not heard back. :37_disappointed:

We have deployed VDA 1912CU1 on Server 2016 and our Citrix infra structure is on 7.15CU2. On the client side we requested users to update to workspace App 2002.

Based on our initial validation MS Teams is showing “Citrix HDX optimized” but when we did Teams group meeting call on Citrix XenApp with 7 users connected to the same server. We noticed the experience was not optimal,  the HDXteams.exe was randomly spiking for users up to 30%. Now with a few users experiencing this spike randomly , we reached 100% at times and then it would dip back down. This caused the Teams call experience to degrade.  Turning off Video did help improve the experience. Teams client is running in VDI mode.

Even browsing within Teams caused the CPU to spike 10-20%. Is this expected behavior? I’m not sure if that is optimial for shared environment

My understanding if the processing power is supposed to be offloaded to endpoint similar to skype HDX. Any thoughts or experience to share?

Thanks

CT

4 answers to this question

12 hours ago, Clement Thuraisamy1709154286 said:

Hi Team,

Need some guidance here with MS Teams running in Citrix. I called into Citrix and opened a ticket and have not heard back. :37_disappointed:

We have deployed VDA 1912CU1 on Server 2016 and our Citrix infra structure is on 7.15CU2. On the client side we requested users to update to workspace App 2002.

Based on our initial validation MS Teams is showing “Citrix HDX optimized” but when we did Teams group meeting call on Citrix XenApp with 7 users connected to the same server. We noticed the experience was not optimal,  the HDXteams.exe was randomly spiking for users up to 30%. Now with a few users experiencing this spike randomly , we reached 100% at times and then it would dip back down. This caused the Teams call experience to degrade.  Turning off Video did help improve the experience. Teams client is running in VDI mode.

Even browsing within Teams caused the CPU to spike 10-20%. Is this expected behavior? I’m not sure if that is optimial for shared environment

My understanding if the processing power is supposed to be offloaded to endpoint similar to skype HDX. Any thoughts or experience to share?

Thanks

CT

Hi CT. 

Ok, just to put thinks into perspective. Same as in RTOP, MTOP offloads audio and video processing to endpoint. Doesn't offload the UI and Teams.exe process whichis still running whitin the session. Basically there is no optimization running if there is no A/V. You can notice that HDXTeams.exe on endpoint isn't even started until a call kicks in. 

Now a CPU spike is expected on endpoint if video from other side is considerable, 720p. You will also see spikes in cases where video is lower but the CPU is relatively slow and there is no GPU to offload this video decoding/encoding. 

The new VP9 codec is very good in Teams but heavier on processor than it's predecessor H264. To get optimal performace you need to make sure the specs of endpoint are above this: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/microsoftteams/hardware-requirements-for-the-teams-app. You can see for live events MS recommends an i5 or equivalent. 

As well on VDA side you could try set this as well: 

If the Virtual Desktop does not have a GPU/vGPU, we recommend "Disable GPU hardware acceleration" in Teams/Settings in order to improve performance. This setting ("disableGpu":true") is stored in %Appdata%\Microsoft\Teams inside desktop-config.json, so you could also use a logon script to edit that file and set the value to true.
(https://support.citrix.com/article/CTX253754)

Let me know how you get on. 

Regards,

Daniel 

GM Daniel, 

Thank you for the feedback. 

The CPU 10-20% spike by Teams process within the VDA related to browsing with UI, I agree that is not offloaded but was worried about the spike in shared environment. When we can 20+ users collaborating within Teams on the same server, performance of the session can degrade user experience. I guess that is nothing much can be done there? I understand Teams is heavy app.

As for A/V offload, I agree the process  "HDXteams.exe" is only seen  only running during the call. The endpoints we tested on were running i5 /i7 CPUs with workspace 2002. The call quality was good during our testing but again worried about the spike caused by Teams.exe. Maybe I'm comparing to Skype which was lean in consuming resources with hdx optimized.

Yes, I did already review  ctx253754 and have already disabled GPU and auto startup. 

I will do more testing when I get sometime today but does Citrix have recommended sizing for with users using teams in Citrix. Server sizing? User per server?

Thanks, 

CT

10 minutes ago, Clement Thuraisamy1709154286 said:

GM Daniel, 

Thank you for the feedback. 

The CPU 10-20% spike by Teams process within the VDA related to browsing with UI, I agree that is not offloaded but was worried about the spike in shared environment. When we can 20+ users collaborating within Teams on the same server, performance of the session can degrade user experience. I guess that is nothing much can be done there? I understand Teams is heavy app.

As for A/V offload, I agree the process  "HDXteams.exe" is only seen  only running during the call. The endpoints we tested on were running i5 /i7 CPUs with workspace 2002. The call quality was good during our testing but again worried about the spike caused by Teams.exe. Maybe I'm comparing to Skype which was lean in consuming resources with hdx optimized.

Yes, I did already review  ctx253754 and have already disabled GPU and auto startup. 

I will do more testing when I get sometime today but does Citrix have recommended sizing for with users using teams in Citrix. Server sizing? User per server?

Thanks, 

CT

It's impossible to create a template because workloads can be so different from company to company. Some might do a lot of editing of word, excel inside teams client. Others might not. A lot of add-on's that can be installed in Teams, etc. 

The only way is to field test it :) 

Daniel