Welcome to our new Citrix community!

Dissimilar Category containers

Good Morning,

My company is moving to a new model where we will be using Citrix to access client environments. I hope Im posting this in the correct forum.

I am a user of Citrix.

In my case I have been assigned 3 clients.

I click on apps at the top of the Citrix Storefront

I see "ALL|Categories" at top left

I click "Categories" and I see 3 folders. For this exercise Ill use false names  for the folders. Ill call them Tom, **** and Harry.

The first problem I have is/are the number of apps shown under each folder are not identical. Tom has 6, **** has 3 and Harry has 12. They should be identical because I and the rest of my group only use a handful of apps to support clients.

The second problem I have is more of a security issue. Lets use a browser as an example. As it stands today, If I fire up a Chrome browser from inside Toms folder to reach one of Toms web  sites, I can also reach **** and or Harrys web sites from within Tom chrome browser.  .. a security risk at least and a potential for mixing client data.

I ask the following to ensure what I am proposing is possible before I approach management and the Citrix admin guys.

Is it possible to create folders that contain apps that are completely independent of each other ? Tom has his own folder with apps; browsers, Putty, VMs etc etc, that are only specific to Tom with no possibility of connecting to  **** and/or Harrys environments (resources) and vice versa. 

Im certainly taking a guess as a user. I think that who every is creating Tom, **** and Harry profiles aren't coordinating with each other. That; again, I'm assuming would explain the dissimilar number of apps shown under each category/folder.  Im not sure how whats going on with respect to being able to hit Dicks websites from a browser I fired up under Toms folder.

Thanks in advance for the help.

First -this should be in the CVAD forums and not the ADM forums.

StoreFront containers are not "user folder" but folders of applications.    Categories do not have a user assignment.

What determines who sees which app is who the apps are published to via the Delivery Group or the per app setting (under limit visibility in app property).  If the app is published to multiple users, then all users will see them in whichever category they belong.

What determines which apps are in which folder/category is the "category" assignment you made in the app list.  Apps with same path are in same "category" together. Apps with different paths in different categories (folders).

To have an app in multiple folders, you have to publish it separate times.

Sorry about not posting in correct forum.

Tom, Sally Harry represent clients not individual users. I will change the example to hamburger restaurants but they have no "real" association. They are used to illustrate my issue.

I do understand some of your reply. In simple terms.

This is what I want to propose.

Each app under each folder of app/category are (if possible) independent of apps defined in adjacent folders of apps.

At the store front I want to see only three folders of apps/categories. If I were to be assigned a new client; Outback, Id see a fourth folder of apps/categories specific to Outback.

mcdonalds folder of apps/category
   mcdonalds_putty
   mcdonalds_windows jump server
   mcdonalds_Linux jump server
   mcdonalds_ChromeBrowser

BurgerKing folder of apps/category
   BurgerKing_putty
   BurgerKing_windows jump server
   BurgerKing_Linux jump server
   BurgerKing_ChromeBrowser

Wendys folder of apps/category
   Wendys_putty
   Wendys_windows jump server
   Wendys_Linux jump server
   Wendys_ChromeBrowser

Is this possible ? Will my request/suggesting be feasible ?

Thanks again

So separate this into two parts:

1) Who are the apps published too.  The user assisgnments at the delivery group (or per app level)

2) And second how you organize apps is the "category" field.

Note: published apps belong to categories, published desktop don't (which is what I'm assuming your jump windows/jump linux are)

If you were to create your Customer1: Apps:  putty, jump server (is this a desktop or a connection shortcut? because "desktop instances" don't display in categories). chrome...

So I'm going to focus on apps and not the "jump servers" for a minute.

Scenario 1:  Separate Delivery Groups per Customer....

If you publish  Putty (1) , Chrome (1) in a delivery group to Customer1 (you can have unique app IDs; but same display names if needed), then only Customer1 will see these resources.

If you publish Putty (2), Chrome (2) in a delivery group to Customer2, then only Customer 2 will see them.

Scenario 2:  One Delivery Group; but Separate Apps per customer

NOTE: usually we dont want different "customers" on the same physical systems as limiting app visibility isn't the same as preventing customer A from getting to Apps installed on the same machine for customer b (unless you use some sort of process level/permissions at the OS level).   If you need separate customers to have distinct access to separate apps at the OS level, they must be on separate base images and publishd from separate catalog/delivery groups.

IF its just a "visual" filter:

Create putty(1) and putty (2) instances in the same delivery group.

Then use the app-level property to limit visibility to putty(1) to Customer1 and putty (2) to Customer 2

For published desktops windows/linux, you can create different desktop instances on separate delivery groups assigned to the respective customers only OR create separate desktop instances on the same delivery group with specific user/group assignments. Desktop1 to Customer1 and Desktop2 to Customer2. But remember the same delivery group, the user has access to every app installed in the desktop whether published or not.

So by filtering which apps are assigned to which customer you will restrict which customer sees which icons for launch.  This inclues apps and desktops.

The next step is to make apps appear in categories/folders:

This has nothing to do with assignments and is a property of the published app itself (but not the published desktops).

Under the individual app properties set the category path. App instances putty(1), chrome(1) with the same path will be in a folder together (case sensitive).

putty (2), chrome(2) with same path will be in a folder together.

Who sees it is goverened by the app user assignments.

Desktop instances will not be grouped under folders.

• Like 1