Welcome to our new Citrix community!

Upgrade from Citrix 6.0 to XenApp/XenDesktop 7.xxx

Matt Sherman

Question

The company that I work for is currently on Citrix XenApp 6.0 and I've been given the task of finding and vetting and upgrade plan. I know Citrix from a management standpoint, but not the setup. The person who set it up initially is no longer employed. For the past week or so I've been reading everything I can about the setup and it seems pretty straight forward. I just don't know if upgrading our current version would be wise. It seems it would be wise to create "a lab" and work that into a production. There are just a few questions that I have. Any useful information would be appreciated

1. Any potential problems running a test AND production Citrix in the same virtual environment?
  2. We are a medical center that uses a larger hospital's EMR system via a Citrix web portal. Their systems allows them to use the receiver and work space. Ours currently only allows the receiver. What version will allow the use of the Work space app?
  3. Are we able to upgrade without using the XenDesktop feature at this time? We will use it in the future

We are a medium sized healthcare organization with about 600 employees. We have 10 external Citrix servers (went from 5 to 10 after COVID) and 35 internal servers. 

I've been using the following article, it has been absolutely helpful. Please forward any other useful references. 

https://9to5it.com/citrix-xenapp-7-6-install-guide-introduction/

Thanks,

Matt Sherman 

4 answers to this question

Hi Matt,

You cannot do in place upgrade from 6.0 to latest XenDesktop 7.xxx. So you have only option fresh installation to XenApp/XenDesktop 7.xxx. Yes you are correct now a days installation is really straight forward. Also if you choose fresh installation you can always go back to your old citrix farm in case any thing wrong with the new citrix farm. XenApp & XenDesktop 7.6 LTSR is EOL so I would recommend go with Citrix Virtual Apps and Desktops 7 1912 or 7.15 LST. 

1. Any potential problems running a test AND production Citrix in the same virtual environment? Depend on your environment 
  2. We are a medical center that uses a larger hospital's EMR system via a Citrix web portal. Their systems allows them to use the receiver and work space. Ours currently only allows the receiver. What version will allow the use of the Work space app?Most of the  Citrix receiver and work space version compatible with Citrix Virtual Apps and Desktops
  3. Are we able to upgrade without using the XenDesktop feature at this time? We will use it in the future. Now a days Xenapp/XenDesktop are almost same.

Thanks 

Manoj

Hello Manoj,

I appreciate your response. I wish I knew enough about our Citrix environment in order to answer that first item. It was actually the most important. question of all. 

I'll see if I can find any best practice suggestions for this upgrade 

Thanks again,

Matt 

There should be no issues running two environments of differing versions within the same virtualization instance.  As was mentioned above, there is no 'Upgrade' path from the older version to the newest releases.  This means you will have the old farm running in place as you build out the new farm and both can be used in parallel until such time as you've migrated all applications to the new farm. 

You're probably using Citrix Web Interface as the portal to the old environment and you will want to change that to Citrix Storefront as you setup the new farm.  It's easy to have Storefront enumerate applications from the old and new farms such that the hosting platform is transparent to the end users.

I'd setup a POC farm and work through all the details of documenting the setup of your production environment.  Another option to consider given the fact that you no longer have Citrix specific personnel on hand would be to simply outsource parts of the environment.  Let someone else host and support the infrastructure pieces and you can still host and manage the application servers.