Welcome to our new Citrix community!

Question

We have an environment with Citrix 7.15 and PVS, on 600 VDA's lathes, and we apply DRS (Vmware), but I would like to know if there is any recommendation from Citrix on best practices to be applied for live migration. I didn't find any documents about it. Only for configurations with MCS, which is not the case. Does anyone in the community know anything about this topic?

2 answers to this question

Hi, 

I asked Citrix Support about this a little while ago as there is nothing about DRS for PVS at all. They said that it is supported but not recommended as all environments should ideally be right-sized, however due to growth of platform usage the demand for VDI's or sessions doesn't always match budget for new hosts . Heres the contents of the reply I got from them. 

"

I spoke with one of the PVS Senior Escalation Engineers and one of our Citrix Consultants, DRS is supported, PVS target devices can be moved. PVS servers are not supported and cannot be moved.

Even though it is supported, it is never recommended for customers to implement. At scale, you ideally want a predictable number of VDAs per host based on capacity sizing exercise, and not have DRS enabled. Not only does DRS in fully automated mode mean they can move at will and skew VM to host density (which can create an uneven performance on sessions from host to host) but the impacts of a VMotion will more likely be experienced by the user during their session.

The consultant I spoke with informed me that sometimes due to platform size, customers may not be able to get away with disabling full automation DRS and at very least, setting the migration threshold to a 2 star and reviewing vm-host allocations regularly can help some mitigation of the issue mentioned above."

• Like 1
On 5/20/2020 at 11:05 AM, dale scriven1709154513 said:

Hi, 

I asked Citrix Support about this a little while ago as there is nothing about DRS for PVS at all. They said that it is supported but not recommended as all environments should ideally be right-sized, however due to growth of platform usage the demand for VDI's or sessions doesn't always match budget for new hosts . Heres the contents of the reply I got from them. 

"

I spoke with one of the PVS Senior Escalation Engineers and one of our Citrix Consultants, DRS is supported, PVS target devices can be moved. PVS servers are not supported and cannot be moved.

Even though it is supported, it is never recommended for customers to implement. At scale, you ideally want a predictable number of VDAs per host based on capacity sizing exercise, and not have DRS enabled. Not only does DRS in fully automated mode mean they can move at will and skew VM to host density (which can create an uneven performance on sessions from host to host) but the impacts of a VMotion will more likely be experienced by the user during their session.

The consultant I spoke with informed me that sometimes due to platform size, customers may not be able to get away with disabling full automation DRS and at very least, setting the migration threshold to a 2 star and reviewing vm-host allocations regularly can help some mitigation of the issue mentioned above."

Hi! 

Can you submit an article or an impersonal response from TP? We are also interested in the effect of DRS on XenApp and VDI during migration. The answer is to complement the study.