Welcome to our new Citrix community!

VDI in a box (5.4) - Upgraded from Xenserver 6.1 to 7.6 now can't start VM's via citrix reciever

James Russell

Question

Hello all,

I did an upgrade on Xenserver 6.1 to 6.2, then 6.2 to 7.2 and then to 7.6 where I currently am.

I have 2 servers that are running VDI-in-a-box 5.4 and it all seemed ok with the upgrades (and subsequent updates), The 2 servers are part of a grid within VDI in a box (not a pool in Xencetre).

It allowed me to activate it and put it back into the grid fine. And if I connect to the server within Xencenter I am able to view and use the VM's fine through the console. But when I try to connect to a VM through Citrix receiver on the new 7.6 server I just constantly get a "Your Desktop is being started. Please wait a moment and log in again". Even though I can see the VM in question in Xenserver started up fine and I can RDP onto said VM it just refuses to load in Citrix receiver.

Could this be because I have mixed versions of Xenserver in the grid or is there something else I am missing?

Any advise would be greatly appreciated

7 answers to this question

Thanks for the advice all. Sadly migrating away from VDI in a box is not an option as this is just a stopgap between migrations of other things in the background beyond my control.

I knew it was probably a long shot as I was aware that it was officially unsupported, but just wanted to see if we could get it working at least for a few months until all the final pieces of said background things were in place.

Thankfully only done 1 out of 2 servers so rolling back shouldn't be an issue. But if I can at least upgrade it to a version that is accessible on Windows 10 that would be a win (Windows 10 doesn't seem to like Xenserver 6.1's version of TLS it uses to connect to Receiver).

Thanks again for the advice.