Welcome to our new Citrix community!

What is everyone doing for disaster recovery for the ELM appliance?

Nick Panaccio

Question

I'm curious to hear what others are doing for DR in App Layering. Our ELM appliance is hosted in XenServer, and I'm basically just using snapshots currently. I've been giving some thought lately to building a second ELM and exporting/importing everything to that as I build things, though that method seems a bit cumbersome.

3 answers to this question

Appreciate the replies. Turns out, CommVault can actually backup XenServer via a Proxy server. We've been testing it the last few days, and outside of me having to change the VLAN and MAC assigned to the restored server, it works well. It basically just takes a snapshot, backs up that snapshot, and then deletes it.

• Like 1
On 5/8/2020 at 11:33 AM, Nick Panaccio said:

I'm curious to hear what others are doing for DR in App Layering. Our ELM appliance is hosted in XenServer, and I'm basically just using snapshots currently. I've been giving some thought lately to building a second ELM and exporting/importing everything to that as I build things, though that method seems a bit cumbersome.

We have a product called "Cohesity" that backs up our VM's between our primary site and our DR site.  If we lost our Primary datacenter, we could deploy the appliance from backup to our DR site in a few minutes time and be able to deploy images / update layers shortly thereafter.