Welcome to our new Citrix community!

XenDesktop Maintenance Mode and Active sessions

Gwyn Williams

Question

Hello, I have a question about Maintenance Mode in XenDesktop (7.15) that I'm having a surprising amount of difficulty finding an answer to.

I have a few dozen RemotePC assigned VDA machines in a certain machine catalog/delivery group, created with MCS. They need to be moved to a different machine catalog and different delivery group. I'm aware that these machines would need to be put into Maintenance Mode to do this. What would happen to any active sessions on these machines when the machines are a) removed from one catalog/group, and then b) added to another catalog/group? Would the user still be able to interact with the session during all of this, i.e. carry on working?

Thanks.

2 answers to this question

Hey gwynll,

from my experience any time you remove a machine from a DG, the user will be disconnected that is definitely going to be the case if you're going even further and removing it from the catalog, this relates more to VA/VD sessions, I don't know remote PC that well to say 100% for certain that this is the case with remote pc... but if you're planing this i would play it safe and set up an outage window and notify users that they would be disconnected and sessions lost during this change.

Hi Bruce, thanks for replying. OK well, having a Disconnected session isn't too bad. At least I won't have to ask everyone to log off beforehand and I can just do all of them in one evening.

So just to confirm, for VA/VD sessions, if there's an idle session and I remove the machine from the DG then MC, and then add add to another MC/DG, could the user then reconnect to the same session (provided that the "Log off disconnected sessions" timeout hasn't been reached)?

If so, then I'd be willing to take a gamble on the behaviour of RemotePC to be the same as VA/VD sessions.

Thanks.