Welcome to our new Citrix community!

How to add a customized running serial number as a custom header in requests to virtual servers ?

Hello, I need to insert something like a unique tracking id to each request that I receive for a virtual sever configured on the appliance. From the documentation on website, I am only able to find how to insert static values extracted from the request or some hard coded values as custom headers. But can we have a policy action that will generate a unique running serial number to every request so that I can do end-to-end tracking of that request from NetScaler to all the downstream servers. 

What about SYS.RANDOM? Or, SYS.TIME.TYPECAST_TEXT_T.ENCRYPT You could put this into a cookie. But of course, you would have to store it "somewhere" in your ADC, I guess, in a array of variables.

add rewrite action insert_secret insert_http_header My-Header "SYS.TIME.TYPECAST_TEXT_T.ENCRYPT"

What do you need this for?

Greetings

Johannes Norz

CTA, CCI, CCE-V

Thanks a lot for your quick response Johannes.  My requirement is to have a unique id (serial number or something)  for every hit that I get on Netscaler for a virtual server.  This id will be passed on as a header to downstream systems and should enable me to track any transaction end-to-end in my logging system using this unique id.  

Will your solution help me achieve this ?

3 hours ago, Johannes Norz said:

What about SYS.RANDOM? Or, SYS.TIME.TYPECAST_TEXT_T.ENCRYPT You could put this into a cookie. But of course, you would have to store it "somewhere" in your ADC, I guess, in a array of variables.

add rewrite action insert_secret insert_http_header My-Header "SYS.TIME.TYPECAST_TEXT_T.ENCRYPT"

What do you need this for?

Greetings

Johannes Norz

CTA, CCI, CCE-V

Thanks a lot