Welcome to our new Citrix community!

Upgrade 7.6 LTSR to current, old is running non-supported OS so cannot in place upgrade How to proceed?

Paul Kramer1709154814

Question

So I need to upgrade 7.6 LTSR  to current, old is running on 2008 R2 server with seperate SQL server, since it is non-supported OS for current I cannot in place upgrade

How to proceed?

I can't seem to find doc's that explain this scenario when the current DC OS is unsupported.

It is currently a single delivery controller environment, delivering desktops from Unidesk 2.x, we are moving the Unidesk to new Citrix with App-layering 4.x and need way to easily migrate users to their new vm's without having to touch each thin client at the time of moving then to new vm.

Ideally we'd like to have the current Catalog/Delivery group, and the new Catalog/Delivery group on the same delivery controller so the thi client will see both old and new vm's assigned so when user log in they can see old and new vm's to sign on too.

Any idea how to proceed?

@Carl Stalhood1709151912 Do you have any guidance you could share?

2 answers to this question

If you really need to keep the same site, delivery groups etc, then your only option is to build a second delivery controller in the same site but running a supported OS.   Then you can decommission the old DC, and the blocker to the upgrade goes away as you can now upgrade in place.

However, to be honest I think that is a poor way to approach it.   You would probably be better served building an entirely new site and having your Storefront server enumerate apps and desktops from both old and new Citrix sites.   Then you can build and thoroughly test your new app-layering based desktops and when ready, just remove the users from the desktops in the old site and add them to the new.   Since they are being published via the same Storefront server, you won't need to touch your thin clients.   This route also removes risk involved in the upgrade process, where any mistakes or errors encountered take out your whole environment.   NB you will need to upgrade your Storefront server though, so it's not entirely without risk.

How are you configuring the thin clients?   We use Wyse and configure them by a WDM server which gives them an ini file at boot up.   The ini file contains details of the Storefront servers to check for resources.   It is extremely easy to just add in an additional Storefront server so multiple Citrix sites are enumerated at login.  With this route, you completely remove risk as there is no need to touch the original Site at all.