Welcome to our new Citrix community!

SCVMM XDHyp connection - 20 minutes to list VMs??

Matt McGrath

Question

Hi all,

Have a strange issue with a hypervisor connection to an SCVMM server, that is causing issues with MCS updates.

From a DDC, running the following command takes between 5 and 20 minutes (?!?!).

add-PSSnapin Citrix*

cd XDHyp:\HostingUnits\VMMCluster01

ls (alias for Get-ChildItem, returns the list of all the VMs visible via the XDHypervisor connection.

What is stranger, is that during this 5-20m period where PowerShell is hanging, I can see the Citrix.Host service running at high CPU, and also consuming ~50Mbps of network traffic (from the VMM server).

I have multiple Sites connecting to this same VMM instance, and they all exhibit the same issue. Sites are a mix of 7.15 LTSR, 1912 LTSR, Server 2012 R2 or Server 2016 OS for the controllers.

VMM is 2016 Update Rollup 8 (but have been on various URs). The VMM server is reasonably large, i.e. around 100 hosts.

I've done some tracing of the Host Service, and reading the log files it doesn't look like the VMM commands are taking too long to complete (but this is happening multiple times)

image.thumb.png.fa8a82bffc978eac54bab7fd77c3bc4f.png

Attached screenshot from the DDC while running this command in PS.

image.thumb.png.00d2a6b7b87fe86df62c1a826f9659a9.png

Anyone done a deep dive into MCS with a Hyper-V connection or have any experience with it in a larger environment?

Thanks for any advice!

1 answer to this question

To answer my own question/issue - looks like it is related to this https://support.citrix.com/article/CTX269597

Citrix HCL gets every network adapter connected to every host in VMM, and each command takes ~5s (according to the article), which can mean timeouts in large VMM environments.

It doesn't explain the massive network traffic during this time, but likely that the HCL is doing something similarly silly like copying all the VM Template files across the VMM connection.

We managed to mitigate this issue by creating a new VMM Delegated Administrator User Role, and scoping it only to the Citrix clusters. It still requires local admin permissions on the Hyper-V hosts, but at least it can complete an MCS command without timing out any longer.

Hope that helps someone out there ;)