Welcome to our new Citrix community!

VDI Desktop Spillover using Zones

Timothy Nelson

Question

Is it possible to configure VDI desktop spillover using zones? All of the Citrix documentation seems to cover zone preference for applications and desktops but none of it seems to cover how to set zone preferences for desktops. Those options are only available for applications. This desired configuration also assumes the primary site is not in an offline state in which zone 2 would not function properly.  I understand I can accomplish this with multiple sites and StoreFront aggregation, but if it can be accomplished without the additional infrastructure at the secondary site that is desired.

Desired Scenario: 

2 data centers, primary and disaster recovery. Primary zone configured at primary data center. Second zone configured at DR. 

The same VDI desktop available at both locations and published using the same name.

When all VDI desktops are utilized at the primary datacenter the next request for a desktop will spill over to the DR.

Once VDI systems become available at the primary site again the next connection attempts will go to the primary zone. 

2 answers to this question

I am unclear about your scenario. Where you say

• When all VDI desktops are utilized at the primary datacenter the next request for a desktop will spill over to the DR.
  • Once VDI systems become available at the primary site again the next connection attempts will go to the primary zone.

Are you trying to use your DR site as additional capacity during normal production site availability or is the scenario that the production site is unavailable and that is the only time the DR site is utilized?

On 4/14/2020 at 9:59 AM, Darryl Sakach said:

I am unclear about your scenario. Where you say

• When all VDI desktops are utilized at the primary datacenter the next request for a desktop will spill over to the DR.
  • Once VDI systems become available at the primary site again the next connection attempts will go to the primary zone.

Are you trying to use your DR site as additional capacity during normal production site availability or is the scenario that the production site is unavailable and that is the only time the DR site is utilized?

Trying to use DR as additional capacity. The scenario assumes both primary and DR are online (No outages).