Welcome to our new Citrix community!

WorkspaceApp 2002 (20.2.0.25) reboots client machine after installing

Sander de Valk

Question

13 answers to this question

6 minutes ago, Kasper Johansen1709159522 said:

Hi,

You can install it via command line and provide the /norestart switch, that should prevent the reboot.
https://docs.citrix.com/en-us/citrix-workspace-app-for-windows/install.html#install-parameters

Thanks for the feedback.

I know, but a user who gets the pop-up there is a new update, just clicks on the button to install. Not all end-point machines are managed, and users do not have this knowledge.

5 minutes ago, Kasper Johansen1709159522 said:

I would expect this kind of behavior on non-managed machines, if the application requires a reboot, it usually prompts us for the reboot. Either you'll have to implement some kind of management of the end-point, or instruct the user to click "No" to the reboot request.

if you read the earlier post, there is no pop-up on the client, it just reboots without a warning.

I've been doing some testing.

I have installed Workspace App 1909, reboot, then upgrade to 1911, reboot and then upgrade to  2002, not once did I experience a "forced" reboot. I got a reboot warning between upgrades, which is understandable as I can see the previous version of Workspace App is being uninstalled, before the new version is installed. I have also tested a clean install of Workspace App 2002 both with and without App Protection, no forced reboot, only reboot prompts.

You should be able to get an idea of what's going on, by looking through the log files. In my case I have a whole bunch of log files here:
AppData\Local\Temp\CTXReceiverInstallLogs-*****

Kasper

did you already have the latest .NET Framework and Visual C++ redistributables installed on your PC? I've seem this behaviour if the Workspace App 2002 needs to update additional components. (Think it's only Visual C++ updates)

Regards

Ken Z

Hmm, i get it installed

https://docs.citrix.com/en-us/citrix-workspace-app-for-windows/system-requirements.html

Requirements

Minimum 1 GB RAM.

.NET Framework minimum requirements

Self-Service plug-in requires .NET 4.6.2. It allows you to subscribe to and launch the apps and desktops from the Workspace app user interface or command-line. For more information, see Using command-line parameters.

Latest version of Microsoft Visual C++ Redistributable.

Note:

Citrix recommends that you use the latest version of Microsoft Visual C++ Redistributable. Otherwise, a restart prompt might appear during upgrade.

Starting with Version 1904, Microsoft Visual C++ Redistributable individual binaries are no longer packaged with the Citrix Workspace app installer. Instead, the Citrix Workspace app installer includes the Microsoft Visual C++ Redistributable 14.16.27012.6 installer. When you install Citrix Workspace app, the Citrix Workspace app installer checks whether the Microsoft Visual C++ Redistributable package is present on the system and installs it if necessary.

Regards

Ken Z

6 hours ago, Ken Zygmunt said:

Hmm, i get it installed

https://docs.citrix.com/en-us/citrix-workspace-app-for-windows/system-requirements.html

Requirements

Minimum 1 GB RAM.

.NET Framework minimum requirements

Self-Service plug-in requires .NET 4.6.2. It allows you to subscribe to and launch the apps and desktops from the Workspace app user interface or command-line. For more information, see Using command-line parameters.

Latest version of Microsoft Visual C++ Redistributable.

Note:

Citrix recommends that you use the latest version of Microsoft Visual C++ Redistributable. Otherwise, a restart prompt might appear during upgrade.

Starting with Version 1904, Microsoft Visual C++ Redistributable individual binaries are no longer packaged with the Citrix Workspace app installer. Instead, the Citrix Workspace app installer includes the Microsoft Visual C++ Redistributable 14.16.27012.6 installer. When you install Citrix Workspace app, the Citrix Workspace app installer checks whether the Microsoft Visual C++ Redistributable package is present on the system and installs it if necessary.

Regards

Ken Z

Yes, I also see that the Visual C++ component is installed, I already have .NET Framework installed. I am pretty certain that both .NET Framework and Visual C++ will trigger a reboot, if not present during Workspace App install, as stated in docs.

Anyone get this figured out?

I am trying to upgrade end user workstations in place from 19.12.0.119 to 19.12.1001.3 (LTSR CU1) and the endpoint reboots unexpectedly.  Even if I pre-load the latest C++ runtimes 2015, 2017, 2019 and reboot. 

CWA is using command line switches /silent /noreboot

After the reboot, the new CWA appears in Add/Remove programs, but the icon for the program is 'broken'. 

cwa.JPG