Welcome to our new Citrix community!

HVM required for this operation after upgrading Citrix Hypervisor from 8.1 Update 1 to Update 2

Michael McAlpine

Question

I am running Citrix Hypervisor 8.1 and recently updated from update 1 to update 2.  Post update, I am unable to start VMs.  I receive an error saying "HVM is required for this operation".  I also notice that Citrix Hypervisor is incorrectly displaying the number of CPUs available.  Instead of picking up 10 pcores/cpu Citrix Hypervisor only sees 1 core.

I would appreciate assistance getting any of the VMs on this host to start and/or fixing the issue. 

Host:
Lenovo ThinkStation P700 

Dual E5-2650v3 CPUs

64 GB memory

2 TB SSD

2x 4 TB Spinning disks

Citrix Hypervisor 8.1 update 2 (XS81002 version 1.0)

22 answers to this question

Hello,

First, I see this hardware is not in the compatibility list, so you might encounter unknown issues that might not be fixed.

On the other hand, support for paravirtualized (PV) VMs is removed in Citrix Hypervisor 8.1, so depending on which OS you have on your VMs, you might want to upgrade to a more recent and support version of the OS so it can run in HVM mode.

17 minutes ago, Jose Pablo Benavides said:

Hello,

First, I see this hardware is not in the compatibility list, so you might encounter unknown issues that might not be fixed.

On the other hand, support for paravirtualized (PV) VMs is removed in Citrix Hypervisor 8.1, so depending on which OS you have on your VMs, you might want to upgrade to a more recent and support version of the OS so it can run in HVM mode.

These are all Windows 10/Server 2012r2 to Server 2019, the template the machines were created off of are HVM.  

1 minute ago, Lynn Reed said:

I believe what you're seeing with lscpu are the resources allocated to DOM0 (the control VM). You can use XenCenter to select a server and review general properties. The CPU count is displayed there.

Here is what a VM reports back.  Mind you I should have 2 pCPUs with 10 cores/pCPU.  I've also run diagnostics (built-in Lenovo) and I have Windows on a different.  When I boot into Windows, I see both CPUs and 20 pCores.

Capture.PNG

Just now, Tobias Kreidl said:

Your VM may be corrupted. Do you see this happening with any of your other VMs?

-=Tobias

Every VM on the host and all of the templates.  ~25 VMs and 3 templates.  

What concerns me more is that I get wonky messages when trying to allocate more than 1 vCPU to anything.  

Capture.PNG

Not being able to assign VCPUs to a VM would appear to be more of something like a Microsoft licensing thing, but first, try to get Xentools fixed. If that still fails, I'd see if you can create a brand new VM totally from scratch just to make sure your CH environment is in order. If nothing still runs, maybe the CH installation is corrupted???

-=Tobias

On 4/10/2020 at 4:54 PM, Tobias Kreidl said:

Not being able to assign VCPUs to a VM would appear to be more of something like a Microsoft licensing thing, but first, try to get Xentools fixed. If that still fails, I'd see if you can create a brand new VM totally from scratch just to make sure your CH environment is in order. If nothing still runs, maybe the CH installation is corrupted???

-=Tobias

Hello Tobias, 

This issue appears for Linux VMs too.  I do not believe Windows licensing comes into play at this point because it impacts all VMs on the host (including NetScaler and Ubuntu 16.x).  

One of the VM has data I would like to recover.  I am happy to rebuild but I would like to boot this single VM up to retrieve data.  

So weird! There should not be such issues with Linux VMs. Again, I wonder if maybe your CH install somehow didn't complete totally successfully? ANy chance you could try a re-install/update? Alas, you'd probably have to export all your VMs or if on pooled storage, perhaps detach the storage temporarily.

-=Tobias

As for reinstalling the update, what are the steps to do that?  

I've considered exporting the VM but it's fairly large and I am running into boot issues after installing Citrix Hypervsior onto my Dell R710.  Previously I had XS 7.6 functioning on that host.  I might have to buy a large USB drive and export the VM to that drive using the following article: https://support.citrix.com/article/CTX120520.

2 hours ago, Tobias Kreidl said:

I do not think you can reinstall the update. You'd have to do a full OS update and then patch on top of it. Better would be to test one of your exported VM on a separate Xenserver altogether. Need to test if the XS install is at fault or not.

I figured as much.  I came across a post asking about removing a XenServer/Citrix Hypervisor update and I believe you said that was impossible.  

I also managed to figure out the issue with the Dell R710, apparently between XenServer 7.6 and Citrix Hypervisor 8.x a slow boot issue was introduced.  My Dell R710 sits at "Starting Show Plymouth Boot Screen..." for at least 30 minutes.  In other fun news, a channel of memory (3 sticks) on CPU1 is bad and one of my hard drives is also bad.  

Although we never figured out what was wrong with the Lenovo host, I think I will be able to recover data from the one essential VM.  I really appreciate your help and josepablob's help.

Also Tobias, I hope you are doing well.  I sat next to you at the 2017 E2EVC event on the first day.    

Hi, and thank you for that memory. mj! I recently took somewhat early retirement after 25+ years at NAU and will try to continue to help the various communities as long as my knowledge is current enough to be of use.

That was a fun E2EVC -- the last I think to happen in conjunction with a Synergy meeting, and after 6 days of continuous activity (CTP meeting, Synergy, and then E2EVC), I was exhausted plus ended up being I think the last speaker on the last day! By then, I think most of us were running on a mixture of adrenaline and caffeine! A shame that Octoblu went the way it did, as I was really into it and how well it meshed with XenServer.

I'm keeping a low profile now in light of the COVID-19 outbreak, hoping it will go away ASAP so I can hopefully do more traveling and enjoy seeing more of this amazing world.

Cheers!

-=Tobias

P.S. Hope your recovery goes well; there's no substitute for good backups.