Welcome to our new Citrix community!

NTUser.Dat locked open 2020

David Tesdall1709161072

Question

This has been a long journey and I have worked with Microsoft and Citrix on this issue.

My issues was UPM would not delete ntuser.dat or clear the profile and I was getting errors in the UPM Log file "Cannot delete NTUser.dat" for the user. It is intermittent and only happened for some users.

Here is what I found out that seemed to have helped some. I understand this will not fix everyone's issue but maybe point you into a new direction.

Server 2019 and everything is Citrix 1811 (Storefronts, UPM, studio, etc...)

Since NTUser.dat was being stuck open I went to the registry. I went to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\ProfileList and found the user who was stuck. I scrapped their SID (example SID S-1-5-21-136409697-00000000-0000000000-00000) and used process explorer (sysinsternals run-as administrator) to see what was holding that SID open.

I found HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\Data Collection\ being held open for a lot of users. I looked into it and found how to turn that off:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\Data Collection\
32-bit DWORD AllowTelemetry 0
Services - Connected User Experiences and Telemetry - disable

A lot of users are using the HTML5 and just closing the tab, not logging off gracefully, so I also set the following up to kill any stuck process:

setup AutoEndTasks
HKEY_USERS\.DEFAULT\Control Panel\Desktop REG_SZ (String) AutoEndTasks 1

This seems to cleared up a lot of my problems. Not all of my profile issues but a good chunk.

Just wanted to pass  some knowledge along to a community that has helped me a lot.

Does anyone have any other tips or tricks that might help out?

Edit 1

I was also running this: https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/windows-10-sporadic-user-profile-corruption-locked-system-topaz-paul/ but I have since turned it off and things still seem to be working really well. However, I wanted to make people aware of this just as another tool in your toolbelt.

Edit 2

I saw another stuck user and I'm trying to streamline the server so I looked over their process and found Program Compatibility Assistant Service that had a file open. So I disabled that service too.

0 answers to this question

There have been no answers to this question yet