Welcome to our new Citrix community!

Restoring a Master Image from a cloned production Xenapp Server

Don Hsieh

Question

I have a corrupt boot loader on the base disk of my Master Image and can't fix it.  I want to clone a production xenapp server and turn it back into a Base Master Image.

How do I make the clone stop resetting its state on reboot?  Is it not possible to convert a deployed catalog server into a master image?

Thanks,

Don

4 answers to this question

I don't believe you can do that, assuming it's an MCS catalog.   MCS works by taking the master image snapshot and cloning that off to an independent disk in the hypervisor, and then attaches that disk as a read-only C:\ drive for all the child machines.   So the child machines don't have their own proper C: drive to 'convert' back to a master image.   It might be possible to get that independent disk and attach that to a new VM, but you'd be well advised to do that under guidance from a support call to Citrix.   If it goes wrong, you've lost your catalog of currently working machines too.

I assume you have tried reverting the master image to it's previous snapshot?

5 hours ago, Michael Burnstead1709159565 said:

I assume you have tried reverting the master image to it's previous snapshot?

Yes, this is an MCS catalog.

There isn't another snapshot to revert to since I'm already trying to boot from the base disk.  I do have a test pool I can mess around with so I will contact Citrix support.  Thanks.

On 4/8/2020 at 8:19 PM, Don Hsieh said:

Yes, this is an MCS catalog.

There isn't another snapshot to revert to since I'm already trying to boot from the base disk.  I do have a test pool I can mess around with so I will contact Citrix support.  Thanks.

Any update on this old thread. Have you been able to clone a xenapp server and build a new masterimage

It is extremely unsupported. The base disk is read only. Its unique identifiers for the different VMs using it are contained within the Identity Disk as well as the AD credentials. The OS is configured to capture write requests and redirect them to a differencing disk, not the base disk it is booting from. These are just some of the reasons this will not work. I'm sure there are many more.