Welcome to our new Citrix community!

VDA 7 2003 - Issues with Wyse Thin Clients after Upgrade

Martin von Herrmann

Question

Upgraded to VDA 7 2003 over the weekend.

Logins from Workspace App from Windows work fine.

On coming in to office this morning, found that connections from Wyse 3040 Thin Clients were unusable.  The VM appears to be working itself, but the screen does not refresh properly.  (i.e., open outlook, white box where emails should be, wave mouse across box, every other e-mail shows up.)

Had been running a November 2019 version of firmware on the Wyse Boxes (8.6.206), update to 8.6.303 which was released last week, but no change.

Anyone see anything similar or have any suggestions?

9 answers to this question

One might have hoped that with the Wyse 3040 being one of the best selling thin clients, widely used in large enterprises, that something like this would at least be mentioned in the Known Issues section of 2003 downloads...   Especially as it's not always easy to go back.   If you use Citrix User Personalization Layer, you can't roll the VDA back without having to trash the user profile.

So I just encountered this same issue in our environment; we went from an old 7.17 VDA straight to 2103, on Wyse 5070 running 8.6.710, and of course had the same issues. I have yet to update the Wyses to 9.x because I still use INI files to manage them, but I could go the WMS route if I need to update to 9.x. Have any of you tested that it indeed works better with 9.x?

Answering my own question, yes, version 9.1 of ThinOS does fix this issue, but it's still remarkably worse than the old 7.17 VDA with 8.6.710 ThinOS setup I was running previously. I expect it must be some performance tweak I have yet to find, so if someone has some tweaks they've successfully set up on 9.x to combat this issue, I'll gladly take any help I can get.

Googling around a bit I came across recommendations from Dell, they will not be doing anything to fix this but suggest the following:

Legacy graphics mode
Enable video codec for compression set to “full screen”

In the environment were we had this issue we didn't need to enable Legacy graphics, only set compression to full screen, thankfully. 

On 5/31/2021 at 1:25 AM, Rene Luckow1709160761 said:

Googling around a bit I came across recommendations from Dell, they will not be doing anything to fix this but suggest the following:

Legacy graphics mode
Enable video codec for compression set to “full screen”

In the environment were we had this issue we didn't need to enable Legacy graphics, only set compression to full screen, thankfully. 

Coming across this issue with Single-Session OS only, running 2203 CU2, on ThinOS 8.6_807.

Use video codec for compression - "For the entire screen" (aka full screen). This worked, as you've mentioned.

"For actively changing regions" caused the connection to fail entirely.

"Use when preferred," which is default, didn't help.

"Do not use video codec" is how we had it configured previously. Obviously, this wasn't working.

So there is all the outcomes. Thanks for this.