Welcome to our new Citrix community!

Upgrading FW on NetScaler VPX in HA

We have two NetScaler VPX units running in High Availability mode and need to update the firmware on them.  With these and other devices that have some type of HA, I like to upgrade one, then wait a bit before doing the other to make sure nothing breaks.  I've tried this process on these units and for some reason it is not working as I think it should.  What I've tried is to go into System\High Availability and select the Secondary unit.   In the "Configure HA Node" screen, I disable "HA Synchronization", "HA Propogation" and set "High Availability Status" to DISABLED.  I then exit out and even reboot the VPX and verify the settings when it comes back online.  I then go in and do the FW upgrade.  All looks good and then I restart again to apply the FW upgrade.  Once I log back in, I check the FW version by clicking the useraccount in the upper right of the GUI, and the Release shows the OLD version.  I've done this 3 times and get the same results.  What am I doing wrong? 

Bill

Are you connecting to the members of your HA pair individually via NSIP or are you connecting to the shared SNIP?  SNIP will always be on current primary.

When you disable the ha pariticipation on your "current secondary" are you saving the config before rebooting?

Which version are you upgrading from and to?

And are you sure you are following the correct upgrade procedure:  https://docs.citrix.com/en-us/citrix-adc/13/upgrade-downgrade-citrix-adc-appliance/upgrade-downgrade-HA-pair.html (one reference)

As Manoj said, the CLI is more reliable than the GUI...but you may be missing a step in your upgrade procedure or checking the wrong IP and therefore checking the wrong node.

• Like 1

I'm connecting individually to the GUI of the secondary unit.  After disabling the HA on the secondary, I am saving the changes and then restart the unit.  After restarting, I log back in to verify the HA is still disabled and I can confirm it is disabled there and through the Dashboard view.  I'm trying to upgrade from 12.0.53.13.nc to 12.0.63.13.nc.  I don't see any errors indicating the FW is corrupted or out of space so it's just weird that it isn't working.  I have seen that referenced document, which also strikes me as weird because if you follow that guide to upgrading an HA pair via GUI, the documentation says nothing about breaking the HA but just logging into the secondary unit and doing that upgrade first, followed by the primary.

Bill

In most situations you don't upgrade by "breaking" the ha pair; just placing the secondary in staysecondary and upgrade in place. You should still suspend sync/prop until you are done; but most ha pairs aren't done by either disabling HA (it can be done this way but is unnecessary extra step) or fully breaking/removing participation in the pair (this would be bad as an IP conflicts would occur).

Try the cli to upgrade instead and see if it works. Could be a GUI issue.

Wow....14th time is the charm I guess.  I just ran through the upgrade process on the secondary unit without messing with any of the HA stuff to see if there were any errors that I missed, and it actually worked!  I see the new version showing as expected.  Not sure what changed, which is a bit annoying as I don't know the "fix".  But it shows the correct version and it appears to have auto-disabled HA as they have different FW, so that appears to be functioning as expected.  I'll work through verifying settings on the updated unit then make it the primary and perform the update on the other one.  Thanks for all the information and help all!

Bill