Welcome to our new Citrix community!

Can CVAD components handle Windows OS upgrade (2012 R2 -> 2016/2019)?

tylital520

Question

4 answers to this question

Hi,

I have never done a Windows Server OS upgrade, and in general I would recommend it. If you don't have any other options, if might be worth a shot, but be sure to have a fall-back plan in place.

My approach would be:

As the Delivery Controllers are communicating with an SQL database, all of the essential configuration is in there, this makes it pretty easy to just create 2 new Delivery Controllers, make them a member of the existing site, switch the VDAs to communicate with the new Delivery Controllers, test that everything is working (use the "test site" feature), and then decommission the old Delivery Controllers.

With the StoreFront servers it's almost the same, however to be able to connect new 2019 servers to the existing StoreFront Server Group, you'll have to make sure to use the same StoreFront version on the 2019 servers as you running in your current setup. If you have a Netscaler Load-Balancing IP, make sure to make the necessary changes to accommodate the new servers. Stop the IIS service on the old StoreFront servers, and test logon on the new servers, when logon is working, decommission the old servers.

Provisioning is again almost the same. Create new 2019 servers, make sure to configure the disk setup exactly as it is in the current PVS setup. Install PVS and make them a member of the existing PVS site, make sure boot information, PXE/TFTP is configured and vDisks are copied to the new PVS servers, test that targets are able to boot from the new PVS servers. When targets are able to boot from the new PVS servers, decommission the old servers.

Before any of this, make sure to have backups of at least the databases for the CVAD site and PVS Site, and snapshots of the StoreFront Servers.

• Like 2
49 minutes ago, Kasper Johansen1709159522 said:

Hi,

I have never done a Windows Server OS upgrade, and in general I would recommend it. If you don't have any other options, if might be worth a shot, but be sure to have a fall-back plan in place.

My approach would be:

As the Delivery Controllers are communicating with an SQL database, all of the essential configuration is in there, this makes it pretty easy to just create 2 new Delivery Controllers, make them a member of the existing site, switch the VDAs to communicate with the new Delivery Controllers, test that everything is working (use the "test site" feature), and then decommission the old Delivery Controllers.

With the StoreFront servers it's almost the same, however to be able to connect new 2019 servers to the existing StoreFront Server Group, you'll have to make sure to use the same StoreFront version on the 2019 servers as you running in your current setup. If you have a Netscaler Load-Balancing IP, make sure to make the necessary changes to accommodate the new servers. Stop the IIS service on the old StoreFront servers, and test logon on the new servers, when logon is working, decommission the old servers.

Provisioning is again almost the same. Create new 2019 servers, make sure to configure the disk setup exactly as it is in the current PVS setup. Install PVS and make them a member of the existing PVS site, make sure boot information, PXE/TFTP is configured and vDisks are copied to the new PVS servers, test that targets are able to boot from the new PVS servers. When targets are able to boot from the new PVS servers, decommission the old servers.

Before any of this, make sure to have backups of at least the databases for the CVAD site and PVS Site, and snapshots of the StoreFront Servers.

Hello Kasper and thanks for your fast response!

I just found similar instructions from Citrix: "https://docs.citrix.com/en-us/citrix-virtual-apps-desktops/upgrade-migrate/upgrade.html  -> Add new machines with supported operating systems and then remove older machines"

So I think this is the right way to proceed. But first I need to start by upgrading our DB from 2012 -> 2019. Thanks again for your help!

One more question regarding this:

if I set up new delivery controllers next to the existing ones and make them members of the existing site, how quickly do I have to switch the VDAs to communicate with the new ones? I mean if I have - during the transition phase - 4 delivery controllers, but the VDAs only have two of them configured, will that cause any problems?

Right now I actually have a third delivery controller which is part of the site, and I can see from a studio that there are "registered desktops" listed for that delivery controller too even though the VDAs don't have the new delivery controller configured. Is this going to be an issue? So far I haven't noticed any problems.

So can I just set up the new delivery controllers, let all 4 run in parallel and then change the VDA config to use only the new ones, and then remove the 2 old delivery controllers?

On 3/30/2020 at 2:40 AM, Kasper Johansen1709159522 said:

Hi,

My approach would be:

Hi Kasper,

Thank you for this post. I am also reviewing requirements to upgrade our Citrix infrastructure servers OS from 2012 R2 to 2019. Do you have any feedback from your contacts if the process you described worked for them? I am still weighing whether we should upgrade or build everything from scratch in parallel. Thanks again and best regards!