Welcome to our new Citrix community!

Citrix XenApp 7.15 CU4 and MS Teams Outlook Plugin not showing

Daniel Dunn1709158952

Question

Hi, we use Teams and have installed the application using this

msiexec /i <path_to_msi> /l*v <install_logfile_name> ALLUSER=1 ALLUSERS=1

After following this guide - https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/microsoftteams/teams-for-vdi

The application works fine but we cannot get the Outlook addin to show in Outlook (it should appear in Calendar), it doesn't show anywhere and it isn't disabled.

If I install Teams on a PC with the same version of Outlook, the plugin shows fine.

Is there anything I am missing?

Thanks!

15 answers to this question

We had the same problem after the install at Windows 10. The problem was, that the dll files are not registered correctly. Try this with user rights, not as admin.

%SystemRoot%\System32\regsvr32.exe /s /n /i:user %LocalAppData%\Microsoft\TeamsMeetingAddin\1.0.19317.2\x64\Microsoft.Teams.AddinLoader.dll
%SystemRoot%\SysWOW64\regsvr32.exe /s /n /i:user %LocalAppData%\Microsoft\TeamsMeetingAddin\1.0.19317.2\x86\Microsoft.Teams.AddinLoader.dll

You need the right Teams Addin folder and the x86 and x64 dll. Teams Outlook Addin should start after a new login.

Worked this out last week myself.

Need to make sure the TeamsMeetingAddin folder roams with the user profile (assuming using roaming).

There is also TeamsPresenceAddin folder for the same thing.

If you don't want to figure out the proper addin folder to create, you can also delete the Teams install for the user while they are logged out and have it recreate. 

This Powershell script (modified for your environment, of course) worked to get Teams to reinstall and have the addin working. (Run with user logged out.)

$ProfileServer="servername"
$ClientShareID="sharename$"
$UserName="username"
$PathsToRemove=@("UPM_Profile\AppData\Local\SquirrelTemp","UPM_Profile\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Teams","UPM_Profile\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Teams")
foreach($PathToRemove in $PathsToRemove)
{
    $FinalPath="\\$ProfileServer\$ClientShareID\users\$UserName\$PathToRemove"
    Remove-Item -Path $FinalPath -Recurse -Force -ErrorAction Inquire 

}

On 3/30/2020 at 6:52 AM, Marco Piesold said:

We had the same problem after the install at Windows 10. The problem was, that the dll files are not registered correctly. Try this with user rights, not as admin.

%SystemRoot%\System32\regsvr32.exe /s /n /i:user %LocalAppData%\Microsoft\TeamsMeetingAddin\1.0.19317.2\x64\Microsoft.Teams.AddinLoader.dll
%SystemRoot%\SysWOW64\regsvr32.exe /s /n /i:user %LocalAppData%\Microsoft\TeamsMeetingAddin\1.0.19317.2\x86\Microsoft.Teams.AddinLoader.dll

You need the right Teams Addin folder and the x86 and x64 dll. Teams Outlook Addin should start after a new login.

Thanks for this!

Are you using XenDesktop or XenApp?

And how do you keep ontop of the version updates, i ma guessing the number of the folder changes

Assuming you are using Citrix UPM, you have to allow the directories to roam with the profile.

I added these to Group Policy:
Citrix Components -> Profile Management -> File System -> Syncronization -> Directories to Sync:

AppData\Local\Microsoft\TeamsMeetingAddin

AppData\Local\Microsoft\TeamsPresenceAddin

How are you guys publishing teams in xenapp and launching? Do you have a published app for outlook and teams and then the users launch each individually or a script that when you launch outlook it also launches teams? Just trying to see what everyone's process is for user launching.

Depends on the client for us. But Teams is always published as a separate app that can be launched.  Some clients want it to auto-launch whenever someone logs in, and for that we have a GPO with a login script that will open Teams if they are a member of the Auto-Launch group. There are certainly many ways to accomplish this.

I updated my cleanup script so that it can run as a login script to reset the Teams client. It checks/sets a registry key to prevent it from running too often. I have it run in the same policy that installs the Teams client by .cmd script and set to run PowerShell scripts first in the policy. It cleans up Teams and then reinstalls Teams in the same policy.

I works for my environment...YMMV...

function GetRegValue([string]$Key, [string]$Name)
    {
       if(Test-Path $Key)
       {
	       $a = get-itemproperty -path $Key
	       $b = $a.$Name
	       Return $b
       }
       else
       {
	       Return $null
       }
    }

function SetRegValue([string]$Key, [string]$Name, [string]$Value, [string]$Type)
    {
    # IF REGISTRY KEY EXISTS, THEN SET VALUES, OTHERWISE CREATE IT AND SET THE VALUES
       if(Test-Path $Key)
       {
       Set-ItemProperty -path $Key -name $Name -value $Value -Type $Type -Force
       Return $true
       }
       else
       {
       New-Item -Path $Key
       Set-ItemProperty -path $Key -name $Name -value $Value -Type $Type -Force
       Return $true
       }
    }
$ScriptStateInfoKey = "HKCU:\Software\CompanySpecific"
$ScriptStateInfoName = "TeamsCleanup"
$ScriptStateInfoVersion = "1"

$ScriptState = GetRegValue $ScriptStateInfoKey $ScriptStateInfoName

if($ScriptState -eq $null -or $ScriptState -lt $ScriptStateInfoVersion) 
{
    SetRegValue $ScriptStateInfoKey $ScriptStateInfoName $ScriptStateInfoVersion "STRING"

$UserName=$env:USERNAME
    $HomeShare=$env:HOMESHARE
    $UserProfile=$env:USERPROFILE

$PathsToRemove=@("$UserProfile\AppData\Local\SquirrelTemp","$UserProfile\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Teams","$UserProfile\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Teams","$UserProfile\AppData\Local\Microsoft\TeamsMeetingAddin","$UserProfile\AppData\Local\Microsoft\TeamsPresenceAddin","$HomeShare\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft Teams")

foreach($PathToRemove in $PathsToRemove)
    {
        Remove-Item -Path $PathToRemove -Recurse -Force -ErrorAction SilentlyContinue 
     #   For testing
     #   $PathToRemove
    }

}

6 hours ago, Steve MacNeil1709157315 said:

Hi,

Just ran into this as well, I had to open teams and sign in, then sign out of teams.  Open Teams again one more time and then launch outlook and it showed up for all the users I've tried with so far.  Hope this helps.

Scuba Steve

thanks Steve ive found this too.

users get annoyed having to do this though!

I figured out that AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Teams\settings.json is what is really needed. this file must be in your profile or you wont see the button in outlook. this file is created when teams starts the first time - if you do not want to start it, simply use a somewhere previously created file.

Before this I make sure that the addin exists in the HKCU

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Office\Outlook\Addins\TeamsAddin.FastConnect]
"Description"="Microsoft Teams Meeting Add-in for Microsoft Office"
"FriendlyName"="Microsoft Teams Meeting Add-in for Microsoft Office"
"LoadBehavior"=dword:00000003

and I also use the two lines mentioned earlier:

R:\>%SystemRoot%\SysWOW64\regsvr32.exe /s /n /i:user %LocalAppData%\Microsoft\TeamsMeetingAddin\1.0.19317.2\x86\Microsoft.Teams.AddinLoader.dll

Chris