Welcome to our new Citrix community!

VDA 2003 - connection failure

Question

• Answers 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

We also cannot connect through Gateway to a machine with VDA 2003.

We did a couple of tests and it seems that the problem only occurs when analytics is enabled on the gateway. As soon as analytics is disabled and there is no AppFlow policy bound to the VIP, a connection through Gateway to VDA 2003 can be established.
We have a support case open with Citrix and will continue to investigate the problem.

• Like 2

I have this issue as well.  Lab upgrades.  Session goes to connect, immediately. drops.

I have tried re-enabling adaptive transport but no luck.

Logging into a machine shows a App Layering error, which is odd as these don't use app layering so I am assuming something with the personal user disk.

I am removing the VDA and installing it straight to see if there is any differences.

image.thumb.png.5f64c0a696aeb3e4a99845f80336a89f.png

Definitely looks like something with the App Layering (User Personal Layer) anyone else seeing this?  Going to test with my 2019 as it doesn't have any of the UPL components.

Same issues.  Looks like something is wrong with the VDA software.

Further testing shows that if I bypass Citrix Gateway, then it works.  So storefront direct is fine for 2019 machines.

Are you seeing similar?

We are seeing the same issue, Server 2019, App Layering 2003 w/VDA 2003 and ADC NS13.0: Build 47.24. We also have Remote PC with VDA 2003 (Windows 10 1809/1909) and see the same issue. I tried Storefront directly to see if that fixes it, but it only partially did. The session now launches, but I get a grey screen instead of seeing the desktop and on another session host I get a protocol driver failed error (similar configuration to the first except it has a Nvidia vGPU attached):

image.png.d4626b30333d68b09d5d7cbcfd0d7137.png

There was a new ADC released recently, I wonder if this would fix the issue with connecting through the gateway: https://www.citrix.com/downloads/citrix-adc/firmware/release-13-0-build-52-24.html or maybe an issue with configured ciphers on the gateway, but I would expect some kind of error message for that.

Hey all, i had shared this on twitter bird and slack, but it might help

https://www.getvpro.com/2020/03/cvad-1912-upl-removal-issues-and-fix.html

Was UPL previously installed on the 1912 based machines? That's what I had, i tried to remove CVAD 1912 on a Win 10 MCS master image, i found that the un-install for CVAD 1912 didn't cleanly remove all UPL components, resulting in various errors related to missing UPL components . I escalated to Citrix, and they logged it as a bug in the un-install routine, i I checked the release notes for 2003, and they didn't list a fix for the un-install issue

this sounds similar! 

1 minute ago, Keith Perri said:

We don't use the VDA UPL feature, but we do use Citrix App Layering. We also don't use the User Layer or Elastic Layering there either, just use it to maintain App/Platform/OS layers.

ok! that i'm not sure of. We abandoned full app layering at the client i'm working for last year. 

I would open a case with Citrix, I found delays in opening cases with them 2 weeks back, but it's back to normal now :-)

Seeing same issue here on App Layering instances in Azure. All images are App Layering MCS provisioned.

Will open a support case shortly. no issues with 1912 and 1909, both Win 10 and 2019 exhibit the same issue. was wanting to try 2003 due to the gray screen issue (listed known issues in 1912) that is currently impacting out 2019 environment. Connection drops shortly after the connection screen. No error presented to the user.

Will update the thread with any outcome from support.

We tried upgrading the ADC to latest in our val environment, but saw no change. Still get a gray screen on launch that closes a few seconds later. Tried connecting with and without the Optimal HDX Routing to ADC enabled and session reliability too. Giving up right now as having the latest VDA is not a priority in times like these. VDA 1912 is stable enough for us. I'm not sure if it makes any difference, but the backend we are running is still at 1909, but I wouldn't think that would matter for the VDA side of things. Testing on the client side was with 1911/2002 Citrix Workspace App for Windows, latest Chrome App, and latest HTML5 Workspace App. I don't think this is totally related to App Layering either since it is affecting our Remote PC testing on Windows 10 1909 (tested upgrades from VDA 1912 and clean installs on fresh builds on Windows 10).

So was getting everything ready to get CDF traces etc and figured i would rebuild my platform layers as i was introducing BIS-F to the environment.

Long story short created new platform layer on 1909, then version incremented to 1912, and finally 2003.

Published images now work without changes to any other components in the platform layer. This is true for both my Win 10 image and my Win 2019 image.

Only difference is that when i had the connection issue the platform layer was a new layer rather than a version increment. This indicates the issue may be avoided if upgrading rather than clean install.

I just had the Same Problem and Opened a Case with Citrix, but the strange Thing I had another VIP on Netscaler that we use for Testing the MFA of Azure along with Federated Service on the backed , This VIP works with VDA 2003 versus the Normal VIP that just have an LDAP policy, seems the Problem is in passing the LDAP creds to the VDA 

42 minutes ago, Nico Temperli said:

We also cannot connect through Gateway to a machine with VDA 2003.

We did a couple of tests and it seems that the problem only occurs when analytics is enabled on the gateway. As soon as analytics is disabled and there is no AppFlow policy bound to the VIP, a connection through Gateway to VDA 2003 can be established.
We have a support case open with Citrix and will continue to investigate the problem.

That is Great Finding I just tested and it works, the weird thing I had another vip with no appflow policy and it was working fine, yesterday it stopped working and I have no clue why. 

Seems there is another part also not fixed. 

We also have App Flow enabled, not really wanting to turn it off though. Support requested i disable SR on HA Failover which also resulted in connections working with VDA 2003.

So sounds like currently two possibilities (neither of which are particularly desirable).

Disable App Flow

or

Set EnableSRonHAFailover NO

Either way this points to a defect in either the VDA and/or Gateway code. In my experience both of these components frequently have issues across releases (Less so with SR these days but App Flow is almost always full of defects)

My case is sent up to product dev at this point.  with all these cases you think there would be more info.

Also, when you uninstall 2003 make sure to remove the hklm\systerm\ccs\services\Ulayer key and modify hklm\software\microsoft\windowsnt\cv\winlogon\userinit key to just be c:\windows\system32\userinit.exe,

It seems even if you don't select the UPL the 2003 installer likes to put the components in place.  That is what was causing the errors in the event log about layering.