Updated Privacy Statement

Will generic mouse (not X1) integration be supported for the Citrix Worspace iOS app ?

Daniel Stennett

Question

• Answers 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

20 minutes ago, Daniel Stennett said:

Daniel, the team has actually been looking at the SDK and there's nothing like what you describe. If you have specific information/details/links though, please feel free to share them here and the team will take a look at them.

One thing about Apple is that they're very protective about what APIs they make available to the running application. Just because the OS has access to certain events, it doesn't mean it provides the same events to the running application. The OS may receive a mouse click event for example. It translates that to a touch and that's what the running application sees. The APIs are not as open and public as we would like, for better or for worse.

Having said that, we are looking to improve the experience where possible, and that includes any additional mouse support we can get, but I can't speak to whether it would be possible to have a full desktop-like mouse experience like what you get with an X1 mouse, where Workspace has full control of the mouse events.

Since the recent iOS update with native cursor support, my Citrix X1 mouse has stopped working properly in remote sessions. Only the left mouse button works correctly and scrolling has gone to pot. Any idea what has happened? There’s very few settings I can seem to change for the mouse itself.

Are there any plans to support new peripherals like the Apple Magic Keyboard or third party mice? I know that Citrix Receiver and now Workspace were designed with the X1 mouse in-mind, but things have moved on a lot with the iPad in particular over the years since it was introduced.

On 4/22/2020 at 3:23 AM, Mike Adams1709161974 said:

Since the recent iOS update with native cursor support, my Citrix X1 mouse has stopped working properly in remote sessions. Only the left mouse button works correctly and scrolling has gone to pot. Any idea what has happened? There’s very few settings I can seem to change for the mouse itself.

Make sure the Citrix X1 Mouse option is enabled in Workspace settings. Else, you're using the mouse in generic mode basically, like any other mouse.

If that still doesn't help, see FAQ here for troubleshooting: https://www.citrix.com/products/citrix-mouse/support.html

On 4/24/2020 at 1:23 PM, Dan Browder said:

I was using Workspace earlier today with the Magic Keyboard, it's nice to have a trackpad but it would be so much better if I could do things like easily right-click and scroll, and if it had a native cursor instead of the default iPad round cursor.   It's so close to being perfect Citrix!

Citrix just updated Workspace again yesterday, still without generic mouse and trackpad support.  

On 4/24/2020 at 8:37 PM, Chris Pavlou said:

Make sure the Citrix X1 Mouse option is enabled in Workspace settings. Else, you're using the mouse in generic mode basically, like any other mouse.

If that still doesn't help, see FAQ here for troubleshooting: https://www.citrix.com/products/citrix-mouse/support.html

Thanks for the info but its not helped unfortunately, I still have left mouse button functionality only and now I have the Citrix “cursor” and the iPad one on the screen at the same time.

On 6/15/2020 at 11:39 PM, Kurt Thompson said:

Also looking for an update on this.

So far I’ve been able to use most other Apps as work-arounds for workplace processes with the new iPad Pro with Magic Keyboard combo. I can:

- Use MS Teams or Zoom with Share Screen function to do (and record) educational in-services.

- Use Mendeley with in-App Add-In for Word on IPad with full integration of citation management/bibliography

The big missing piece for me now is being able to seamlessly document on my patients as I’m missing the right-click functionality (as a work-around I can use the onscreen mouse option but it’s a pain to use). Given previous posts about other desktop streaming services having sorted out mouse/trackpad support (e.g. Jump Desktop) and Apple’s upcoming WWDC in a few days, I hope a solution is rolled out in an update very soon. 

There’s going to be a population of people who can’t afford this setup with very expensive Magic Keyboard and trackpad, so for sure there will be those who will still opt to purchase the CItrix Mouse that you’re selling. But after putting 350 USD into a trackpad/keyboard attachment for an iPad I essentially bought to use for work... I really need to have this trackpad (or even a non-Citrix Bluetooth mouse) to be usable with Citrix DeskApp.

Hope this can soon!

All the best,

Kurt

On 6/15/2020 at 11:39 PM, Kurt Thompson said:

Also looking for an update on this.

So far I’ve been able to use most other Apps as work-arounds for workplace processes with the new iPad Pro with Magic Keyboard combo. I can:

- Use MS Teams or Zoom with Share Screen function to do (and record) educational in-services.

- Use Mendeley with in-App Add-In for Word on IPad with full integration of citation management/bibliography

The big missing piece for me now is being able to seamlessly document on my patients as I’m missing the right-click functionality (as a work-around I can use the onscreen mouse option but it’s a pain to use). Given previous posts about other desktop streaming services having sorted out mouse/trackpad support (e.g. Jump Desktop) and Apple’s upcoming WWDC in a few days, I hope a solution is rolled out in an update very soon. 

There’s going to be a population of people who can’t afford this setup with very expensive Magic Keyboard and trackpad, so for sure there will be those who will still opt to purchase the CItrix Mouse that you’re selling. But after putting 350 USD into a trackpad/keyboard attachment for an iPad I essentially bought to use for work... I really need to have this trackpad (or even a non-Citrix Bluetooth mouse) to be usable with Citrix DeskApp.

Hope this can soon!

All the best,

Kurt

Just to add to this, Apple WWDC is meant to include virtual access to one-to-one Developer Lab sessions. https://www.apple.com/newsroom/2020/06/apple-reveals-lineup-for-its-biggest-ever-worldwide-developers-conference/

seems like a good way for your staff to learn about how to implement changes to improve compatibility with Apple products. 

On 7/10/2020 at 8:18 PM, Charles Robinson said:

Thanks for that. I just recently signed up as I’m very excited to try this update. But it is not working for me. Is there a setting I need to choose for my mouse or trackpad/keyboard iPad attachment to work? Currently, both function as they do in the normal Citrix environment; no right click or scrolling capability.

Check the below minimum requirements:

- iPadOS 13.4 or later.

- CWA 20.7.0 or later.

- Ensure Touch mode is enabled in the CWA settings (Application Settings > Advanced > Touch Enable) - This setting is enabled by default.

If you have the above and still don't get the new capabilities, please contact support or EAR program and provide them your app logs.

5 hours ago, Daniel Stennett said:

...the only question remaining is what will become of the X1 mouse?

2C66A9CE-C40F-4A8B-B06B-816A723E9DD0.jpeg

Evidently, the X1 mouse is still the only way to use mouse pointer on external display due to iOS API limitation, so I guess it’s still good some life left in it. 

Just a note to the developers...  the generic mouse support disappears when working on iPadOS 14 (could be the same on iPadOS 13, but I no longer have any devices using it, for testing).  Generic mouse support works for a while, but reverts. 

Setup: iPad Pro (11), magic keyboard, MX Master 3.

I have not gone through every step, click and command - to work out a repeatable process/steps to replicate... but I have logged out of the Citrix session a few times now, gone back in, and the mouse support works again.  Two main tests: dragging a window, right-clicking.  Mind you, text select is pretty bad and imprecise (you can't even double-click a word, and drag to the right to select more text), but it's minor in the whole scheme of things.  Parking that.

Back on topic - after logging in to a fresh Citrix session, it works for a while, but then I can longer execute a right mouse click, nor drag a Notepad window.  I only notice when I try to do regular stuff with the mouse.  It is the same experience if using the MX Master 3 mouse, or the touchpad from the magic keyboard.

The generic mouse/trackpad support requires iPadOS 13.4 or later. 

iPadOS 14 Beta is of course available also, but we don't officially support Betas so results may vary as the Beta matures.

If you're using CWA 20.7.0 or later and iPadOS 13.4 - 13.6 and have Touch enabled in CWA, you should see a pointer (not a round cursor) when you enter a session (not before) and be able to hover, right click and scroll while in the session. If you're using an external monitor with presentation mode, that is not yet supported. You won't see a pointer with presentation mode. Also, all that is assuming you're using a Magic Keyboard with Trackpad or a Bluetooth mouse (or USB mouse).

Not every mouse is fully supported by iPadOS. For example, if using the original Apple Magic Mouse, scrolling won't work at all, even in native apps. When it comes to right clicking, make sure that "Secondary Click" is set to the "Right" button in iOS Settings > General > Trackpad & Mouse. Else there's no right clicking even in native apps or the home screen. If you have Accessibility enabled, make sure there's no customizations with mouse buttons. Reset those or disable AssistiveTouch.

If you still don't see a pointer with all the above considerations, please open a support ticket - you will probably need to provide logs.

EDIT: It's also worth noting that this feature (like a lot of features we add) is driven by a feature flag/toggle. This flag is polled from a 3rd party service (LaunchDarkly) and it is already enabled/rolled out to all users. However, it's important that your device can access this site so CWA can receive the ON toggle for this feature. If your device is on a corporate network, ensure that a firewall is not blocking access to the site (launchdarkly.com) and any subdomains. Otherwise, CWA will continue to see the feature as OFF. If you think that could be the case (which would explain why you wouldn't see a pointer inside a session), try putting the device on a different network. CWA logs will show if this flag is seen as enabled or not.

EDIT2: Regarding iPadOS 14 Beta, though we don't officially support it, I can confirm that for me at least the generic mouse feature works fine using iPadOS 14 Beta 2 released July 7th. And it works continuously, not just for a short while. 

On 7/17/2020 at 1:06 PM, Chris Pavlou said:

I just wanted to chime in to say this seems to work just dandy on my iPadOS 13.x with generic bluetooth mouse. Thank you for getting this done!

I haven't yet tried it with bluetooth trackpad but plan to do that soon.

On 7/19/2020 at 11:13 AM, Brian Black said:

I just wanted to chime in to say this seems to work just dandy on my iPadOS 13.x with generic bluetooth mouse. Thank you for getting this done!

I haven't yet tried it with bluetooth trackpad but plan to do that soon.

Thanks for the feedback, Brian. Glad it's working for you!
Regarding trackpads, the Magic Keyboard with Trackpad is the best way to go as it's a wired solution so no Bluetooth connection/pairing considerations.

On 7/14/2020 at 11:58 AM, Daniel Stennett said:

Finally Released. 
Glad to see companies paying attention to their community feedback.

The system works. 
Thanks Citrix.

Thanks Daniel - I hope it's working well for you. We're working on improvements around this and related areas as well.

On 7/14/2020 at 11:58 AM, Daniel Stennett said:

...the only question remaining is what will become of the X1 mouse?

On 7/14/2020 at 5:38 PM, Brian Black said:

Evidently, the X1 mouse is still the only way to use mouse pointer on external display due to iOS API limitation, so I guess it’s still good some life left in it. 

About the X1 mouse, it's still needed for external displays indeed. This is the case when an external display is used with a full or custom resolution while in a session. The native cursor support in iPadOS does not track on external displays in such scenario (yet), only when the content is simply mirrored (in which case the cursor is part of that mirrored content). In CWA, when you enable the External Display option, the session content is no longer mirrored on the external display by iOS, but rendered on a separate screen by CWA to take advantage of the larger monitor resolution (or custom resolution the user has set). So instead of one screen mirrored, you get 2 separate screens.

TLDR: In short, the native cursor support in iPadOS currently only supports one screen.

NOTE: For the above external display scenario, if you want to use an X1 mouse to interact with content on the external display, you'd want to keep the Citrix X1 Mouse option in CWA enabled. If you want to use the X1 mouse as a generic mouse instead, you'd want to disable the Citrix X1 Mouse option.

On 7/17/2020 at 12:06 PM, Chris Pavlou said:

iPadOS 14 Beta is of course available also, but we don't officially support Betas so results may vary as the Beta matures.

If you're using CWA 20.7.0 or later and iPadOS 13.4 - 13.6 and have Touch enabled in CWA, you should see a pointer (not a round cursor) when you enter a session (not before) and be able to hover, right click and scroll while in the session. If you're using an external monitor with presentation mode, that is not yet supported. You won't see a pointer with presentation mode. Also, all that is assuming you're using a Magic Keyboard with Trackpad or a Bluetooth mouse (or USB mouse).

Not every mouse is fully supported by iPadOS. For example, if using the original Apple Magic Mouse, scrolling won't work at all, even in native apps. When it comes to right clicking, make sure that "Secondary Click" is set to the "Right" button in iOS Settings > General > Trackpad & Mouse. Else there's no right clicking even in native apps or the home screen. If you have Accessibility enabled, make sure there's no customizations with mouse buttons. Reset those or disable AssistiveTouch.

If you still don't see a pointer with all the above considerations, please open a support ticket - you will probably need to provide logs.

EDIT: It's also worth noting that this feature (like a lot of features we add) is driven by a feature flag/toggle. This flag is polled from a 3rd party service (LaunchDarkly) and it is already enabled/rolled out to all users. However, it's important that your device can access this site so CWA can receive the ON toggle for this feature. If your device is on a corporate network, ensure that a firewall is not blocking access to the site (launchdarkly.com) and any subdomains. Otherwise, CWA will continue to see the feature as OFF. If you think that could be the case (which would explain why you wouldn't see a pointer inside a session), try putting the device on a different network. CWA logs will show if this flag is seen as enabled or not.

EDIT2: Regarding iPadOS 14 Beta, though we don't officially support it, I can confirm that for me at least the generic mouse feature works fine using iPadOS 14 Beta 2 released July 7th. And it works continuously, not just for a short while. 

I raised a support ticket, but was told I had to raise the issue with my place of employment, so we’ll see where that goes I guess.

I have the lates iPadOS, am using the iPad magic keyboard with trackpad. Touch is enabled, and I’m not on a corporate network. So I don’t know why this wouldn’t function properly for me. I realize he the issue is likely on my side as it’s working for some others. Just finding it difficult to find the source of the problem.

14 hours ago, Charles Robinson said:

I raised a support ticket, but was told I had to raise the issue with my place of employment, so we’ll see where that goes I guess.

I have the lates iPadOS, am using the iPad magic keyboard with trackpad. Touch is enabled, and I’m not on a corporate network. So I don’t know why this wouldn’t function properly for me. I realize he the issue is likely on my side as it’s working for some others. Just finding it difficult to find the source of the problem.

Try uninstalling the app and reinstalling.

Hi Chris,

I’ve tried that as well; it’s generally my go to :)

I really do appreciate all of your help. I’ve tried logging out of the app as well in addition to uninstalling it. I think I’ll just have to wait for my employer to raise the support ticket on my behalf, because I don’t know what else to do at this point.