Welcome to our new Citrix community!

Will generic mouse (not X1) integration be supported for the Citrix Worspace iOS app ?

Daniel Stennett

Question

• Answers 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Team, this question was already answered:

"We're working to improve the experience including adding support for generic mouse/trackpad. We expect to have this in one of our upcoming releases."

At the time of that answer of course there was no specific release we could reference. All we could say was the above. And the way it works is, until we can know for sure we can't be more specific. Else we would be making promises we may not be able to keep.

Having said that, if everything goes well with the testing and release stages, we hope to have this feature out end of this month (+/- a few days as needed).

• Like 5
On 6/20/2020 at 6:58 AM, Mike Adams1709161974 said:

Can I just ask, what are the recommended mouse settings to be using in Workspace if I’m using the iPad Magic Keyboard please?

The mouse settings in Workspace are only for the X1 mouse. They have no effect on a generic BT mouse or trackpad.

We will soon be releasing support in Workspace for generic mouse/trackpad which will provide mouse right-click/hover/scroll events while in session along with a mouse pointer just like you get with an X1 mouse. In such case, it still does not matter what the mouse settings are in Workspace. The user will use the iOS settings to adjust any mouse options instead.

If you already have an X1 mouse and want to use it as a generic mouse with the upcoming Workspace release, then you would want to disable the X1 Mouse option in Workspace settings. That will allow iOS to use the mouse as a generic BT mouse.

If you're using a Magic Keyboard w/trackpad, you can leave X1 Mouse setting off. With upcoming Workspace release, you will be able to use the trackpad like you are now, but when you're in a session you will be able to see a pointer instead of the round cursor and will have mouse right-click/hover/scroll events as well.

• Like 4

Jump Desktop released an update to their app yesterday that includes full support for generic mice, including scrolling and right/middle-clicks.  Hope you all are working on it, if you're having trouble perhaps reach out to them for assistance?  I'm using it right now and it's working wonderfully.

• Like 2

After asking Apple the same question (as I was thinking it was something iPas OS would natively handle) they too advised that developers can take advantage of the new cursor APIs available from 13.4 in order to translate certain mouse behaviours. Seems JumpDesktop worked it out, but I am very keen to start using Workspace as my current contract is with an organisation that heavily uses Citrix for remote access. 

• Like 2
21 hours ago, Charles Robinson said:

Is there any update as to when this release is coming out?

There were delays with the release as you can probably see - I guess not everything went as expected.

The expectation now from what I understand is middle of next week - if everything goes as planned of course.

Most releases go out as planned but sometimes issues come up that can cause a delay. It's why we can't promise any release dates.

In the meantime, if you're part of the EAR program you can get an early preview.

• Like 3
22 minutes ago, Chris Pavlou said:

Hi @Daniel Stennett

To get the desktop-like features like scrolling and hovering and direct right-clicking while in a session, Workspace requires a Citrix X1 Mouse.

That is because the X1 mouse was specially designed by Citrix so Workspace can communicate with it directly and obtain all mouse events.

When using a mouse as a generic mouse, iOS is the one that communicates with the mouse, not the app. And iOS and does not make all mouse events available to the running application - so Workspace in this case can't forward some of the events to a remote session. So Workspace needs to communicate with the mouse directly and make use of some custom functionality and for those reasons an X1 mouse is needed.

You can read more about the X1 Mouse and how it is used in Citrix Workspace app, in the FAQ section here: https://www.citrix.com/products/citrix-mouse/support.html

And can buy here: https://store.citrix.com/store/citrix/en_US/pd/ThemeID.37713000/productID.317779200

Regards,

Chris

Apple have new mouse integration api's to handle scroll, left and right click actions available to app developers now. Its just a matter or passing those actions through to the remote session in the same way you say the X1 does in your app.

Now, if you're not interested in implementing this because you want to force users to buy your X1 mouse, that's fine, but for the sake of your users, be honest because now that Apple offer iOS mouse support developer tools, I know I won't be the last one to ask this question.

• Like 1
On 3/27/2020 at 12:39 AM, Chris Pavlou said:

Having said that, we are looking to improve the experience where possible, and that includes any additional mouse support we can get, but I can't speak to whether it would be possible to have a full desktop-like mouse experience like what you get with an X1 mouse, where Workspace has full control of the mouse events.

if Jump Desktop have it working, sounds like it is possible after all...

image.thumb.png.d3932357b1519f830abb3cde65b356bf.png

• Like 1
On 4/14/2020 at 5:49 AM, Armin Sarajlic said:

I hope Citrix on the iPad will support generic Trackpad support and full screen external display support like Screens and Jump Desktop. To use an iPad as a mobile Citrix and a Full Desktop Machine. This would be great!

Also hoping that Citrix updates Workspace soon!  Any further information from Citrix on status?

• Like 1

I was using Workspace earlier today with the Magic Keyboard, it's nice to have a trackpad but it would be so much better if I could do things like easily right-click and scroll, and if it had a native cursor instead of the default iPad round cursor.   It's so close to being perfect Citrix!

• Like 1
On 6/14/2020 at 2:12 PM, Koen van Nieuwenhuizen said:

Hi Chris, do you have any more information on supporting this? Thank you.

Also looking for an update on this.

So far I’ve been able to use most other Apps as work-arounds for workplace processes with the new iPad Pro with Magic Keyboard combo. I can:

- Use MS Teams or Zoom with Share Screen function to do (and record) educational in-services.

- Use Mendeley with in-App Add-In for Word on IPad with full integration of citation management/bibliography

The big missing piece for me now is being able to seamlessly document on my patients as I’m missing the right-click functionality (as a work-around I can use the onscreen mouse option but it’s a pain to use). Given previous posts about other desktop streaming services having sorted out mouse/trackpad support (e.g. Jump Desktop) and Apple’s upcoming WWDC in a few days, I hope a solution is rolled out in an update very soon. 

There’s going to be a population of people who can’t afford this setup with very expensive Magic Keyboard and trackpad, so for sure there will be those who will still opt to purchase the CItrix Mouse that you’re selling. But after putting 350 USD into a trackpad/keyboard attachment for an iPad I essentially bought to use for work... I really need to have this trackpad (or even a non-Citrix Bluetooth mouse) to be usable with Citrix DeskApp.

Hope this can soon!

All the best,

Kurt

• Like 1
15 hours ago, Chris Pavlou said:

The mouse settings in Workspace are only for the X1 mouse. They have no effect on a generic BT mouse or trackpad.

We will soon be releasing support in Workspace for generic mouse/trackpad which will provide mouse right-click/hover/scroll events while in session along with a mouse pointer just like you get with an X1 mouse. In such case, it still does not matter what the mouse settings are in Workspace. The user will use the iOS settings to adjust any mouse options instead.

If you already have an X1 mouse and want to use it as a generic mouse with the upcoming Workspace release, then you would want to disable the X1 Mouse option in Workspace settings. That will allow iOS to use the mouse as a generic BT mouse.

If you're using a Magic Keyboard w/trackpad, you can leave X1 Mouse setting off. With upcoming Workspace release, you will be able to use the trackpad like you are now, but when you're in a session you will be able to see a pointer instead of the round cursor and will have mouse right-click/hover/scroll events as well.

Thanks for the detailed post, really appreciate that. Can’t wait for the new release.

• Like 2
On 7/1/2020 at 4:51 PM, Chris Pavlou said:

Is there any update as to when this release is coming out?

• Like 2
On 7/9/2020 at 11:07 AM, Chris Pavlou said:

There were delays with the release as you can probably see - I guess not everything went as expected.

The expectation now from what I understand is middle of next week - if everything goes as planned of course.

Most releases go out as planned but sometimes issues come up that can cause a delay. It's why we can't promise any release dates.

In the meantime, if you're part of the EAR program you can get an early preview.

Thanks for that. I just recently signed up as I’m very excited to try this update. But it is not working for me. Is there a setting I need to choose for my mouse or trackpad/keyboard iPad attachment to work? Currently, both function as they do in the normal Citrix environment; no right click or scrolling capability.

• Like 2
On 8/5/2020 at 5:33 PM, Scott MacKenzie said:

Regardless of what I try, my experience is still bad. It must be either the Citrix server version or what they are doing with firewalls or gateways... or the fact that I am running the public beta release of iPadOS 14. Nothing I try helps (reinstalling, playing with different settings). 
2018 iPad Pro + Magic Keyboard. 
Also tried Bluetooth MX Keys keyboard and MX Master 3 mouse. Thought scaling could be the issue, but no. 
Nothing works. No right click, scroll, drag, no decent text selection. 

if it IS iPadOS 14 at the root of this - well, everyone will soon experience the same as me. 

I can confirm this feature works with iPadOS 14 Beta also, including the latest Beta 4.

What ever mouse you're using, first confirm that you see mouse certain capabilities in iPadOS itself.

- Can you use mouse wheel to scroll inside native iOS? e.g. inside the settings app. If not, then it could be iOS doesn't support scrolling for that mouse. The original Apple Magic Mouse is one such mouse that does not support scrolling with iPadOS.

- Can you right click? e.g. on an app icon on the home screen. If not, goto iOS Settings > General > Trackpad & Mouse and make sure "Secondary Click" is set to the "Right".

CWA can only support what capabilities iPadOS provides it. Unlike with the X1 mouse, CWA doesn't communicate with generic mouse/trackpad directly. All capabilities are via iPadOS.

- Also check that the "Touch Enable" setting is ON in CWA Settings/Advanced section.

- Also check that the Pointer option inside the session is NOT enabled.

If you still don't see a pointer with all the above considerations, please open a support ticket - you will probably need to provide logs.

• Like 1
10 hours ago, Daniel Stennett said:

Will there be native generic mouse support (non X1) in Citrix Workspace app on iOS 13.4 now that mice are officially supported by iOS?

Hi @Daniel Stennett

To get the desktop-like features like scrolling and hovering and direct right-clicking while in a session, Workspace requires a Citrix X1 Mouse.

That is because the X1 mouse was specially designed by Citrix so Workspace can communicate with it directly and obtain all mouse events.

When using a mouse as a generic mouse, iOS is the one that communicates with the mouse, not the app. And iOS and does not make all mouse events available to the running application - so Workspace in this case can't forward some of the events to a remote session. So Workspace needs to communicate with the mouse directly and make use of some custom functionality and for those reasons an X1 mouse is needed.

You can read more about the X1 Mouse and how it is used in Citrix Workspace app, in the FAQ section here: https://www.citrix.com/products/citrix-mouse/support.html

And can buy here: https://store.citrix.com/store/citrix/en_US/pd/ThemeID.37713000/productID.317779200

Regards,

Chris

8 minutes ago, Daniel Stennett said:

Apple have new mouse integration api's to handle scroll, left and right click actions available to app developers now. Its just a matter or passing those actions through to the remote session in the same way you say the X1 does in your app.

Now, if you're not interested in implementing this because you want to force users to buy your X1 mouse, that's fine, but for the sake of your users, be honest because now that Apple offer iOS mouse support developer tools, I know I won't be the last one to ask this question.

Daniel, feel free to share links to any "mouse integration APIs" or "iOS mouse support developer tools" that you say Apple now offers so the team can take a look at them.