Welcome to our new Citrix community!

macOS Facetime HD Camera redirection in Microsoft Teams (XenDesktop 1912) not working, whereas Surface works fine

Question

Dear all,

I'm trying to implement Microsoft Teams with my Office PC, which is a physical machine w/ Windows 10 Enterprise 1909, enabled for "Remote PC Access" w/ Citrix VDA 1912 installed and working. XD Controller has version 1912 as well. Citrix Workspace App in my Microsoft Surface at home is version 2002, my macOS version is 2002, too. All the latest stuff.

So, now I'm accessing my PC located in my office via Citrix "Remote PC Access". Works fine, all good. I've implemented all settings and policies in order to enable Microsoft Teams in my VDA, i.e. it shows "Optimized for Teams" in Settings | About | Version (according to https://docs.citrix.com/en-us/citrix-virtual-apps-desktops/multimedia/opt-ms-teams.html)

In terms of camera redirection I've enabled all Citrix Policy settings required to make it work. I've tested it successfully with my Microsoft Surface and the integrated camera. When connecting to my office PC and launching Microsoft Teams, the camera is redirected and can be used within Microsoft Teams. All good.

As soon as I try the same with my MacBook Pro (2018), redirection fails. Microsoft Teams does not recognize the integrated Facetime HD Camera. I need to make this work as I have Home Office users with MacBooks and they need to use it with Microsoft Teams installed on their respective office PCs accessible via "Remote PC Access". I know, that MS Teams can directly be installed on MacBooks as well, but in this case it's not an option and Camera redirection from macOS to Microsoft Teams running on a single-user VDA simply has to work (use case!)

Update 2020-03-25:
I did some further testing and troubleshooting while connecting with my MacBook. I did realize that when connecting to my VDA with my MacBook and after restarting Teams on my VDA that it doesn't show "Optimized for Teams" in Settings | About | Version anymore. And when checking for connected devices in Settings | Devices I don't see any camera and only legacy Citrix HDX devices, thus confirming that Microsoft Teams does not run in optimized mode when connecting from a MacBook with the latest Citrix Workspace app installed.

I also made sure that the corresponding System Preferences on my MacBook are configured in such a way that Citrix Viewer is allowed access to my Camera.

So what now? Not supported? I don't find anything MacBook-related in Citrix eDocs. Just talking of troubleshooting Windows devices. 

thanks
Alex

2020-03-25_16-31-18.jpg

2020-03-25_16-31-34.jpg

2020-03-23_11-33-07.jpg

12 answers to this question

I thought that issues w/ camera redirection and 64bit applications has been resolved. As per CTX223199:

Webcam redirection is not supported in 64-bit applications with XenApp / XenDesktop 7.16 or older. This was fixed on 7.17 and Receiver 4.11 for Windows.

And it works just fine when connecting to my VDA through a Surface device. But I will give it a try, thanks!

11 hours ago, Alexander Ollischer1709156587 said:

I thought that issues w/ camera redirection and 64bit applications has been resolved. As per CTX223199:

And it works just fine when connecting to my VDA through a Surface device. But I will give it a try, thanks!

Not for MAC. 64-bit app limitation still applies.

since we dont have Teams redirection yet on MAC, you need to rely on legacy WebCam redirection hence you will need a 32-bit Teams in the VDA.

20 hours ago, Rudolph Huc1709155491 said:

Citrix support, is this resolved yet? We have a large deployment of all teams 64bit and this needs to work on mac. 

Not for MAC Workspace app. As I mentioned, you will need the 32-bit Teams app on the VDA to be able to redirect you camera using HDX Webcam Redirection.

Alternatively, you can use Generic USB redirection for the webcam, but that means you need an external camera that connects via USB to your endpoint.

On 4/10/2020 at 11:07 AM, Fernando Klurfan1709153904 said:

Not for MAC Workspace app. As I mentioned, you will need the 32-bit Teams app on the VDA to be able to redirect you camera using HDX Webcam Redirection.

Alternatively, you can use Generic USB redirection for the webcam, but that means you need an external camera that connects via USB to your endpoint.

When will this issue be resolved (and not a workaround like 32bit teams) ?

I verified it with using 32bit TEams on my VDA instead of 64bit Teams. In that case  the integrated FaceTime HD Camera gets redirected using HDX Webcam Redirection. But no Citrix Optimizations for Teams are in place, i.e. disabled. It works ok, but not as good as from a Microsoft Surface device. 

Will this issue be addressed in the future? Feature request even?

Alex

29 minutes ago, Alexander Ollischer1709156587 said:

I verified it with using 32bit TEams on my VDA instead of 64bit Teams. In that case  the integrated FaceTime HD Camera gets redirected using HDX Webcam Redirection. But no Citrix Optimizations for Teams are in place, i.e. disabled. It works ok, but not as good as from a Microsoft Surface device. 

Will this issue be addressed in the future? Feature request even?

Alex

Hi Alex, yes we are addressing this. Please get in touch with me via private message and i can gather your requirements

I am having the same experience and have 2 questions for the others here

1. When using the Facetime HD Camera, Do you see the Green Bar on your Video when using HDX WebCam for Mac?  

We are on Workspace Version 20.02 and still have this issue, it was said to be fixed in 1910.1

Known issues in 1910

• When using a MacBook Pro 2018 and later and FaceTime, users might see a green bar at the

bottom of the video preview. [RFMAC-2317]

2. Is there any way to select a different Camera on a Mac than the built-in FaceTime camera while still using HDX WebCam (not Generic USB redirected)

There is no option to choose between the 2 cameras and no easy way to set a default camera other than the buil-in camera on the Macbook.

Hi There,

I am too having this same issue, having to downgrade Teams on the VDA to 32-bit to get some mac users working with teams audio/video. Though i'm still having a ton of problems with later macbooks 2018 onwards including the Green bar problem described above and/or video unusable, any further hints or tips for Teams deployments for Mac especially ? I'm struggling to find dedicated documentation for it that isn't windows client based. Getting alot of heat from Mac users would love to be able to remediate it a bit better or at least give an indication on a roadmap timetable for improvements ? Works fantastic for a wide range of BYOD Windows clients but Mac is a real headache..