Welcome to our new Citrix community!

Citrix Performance through Netscaler Gateway

We have a Netscaler VPX running NS11.0 64.34 and a Citrix XenApp 7.13 environment. When we get over 110 users connecting through the Netscaler there is a slight drop in performance with a bit of lag on mouse clicks. I've looked on Citrix Director and the ICA RTT and Latency are below 50ms . Looking on the Netscaler, CPU and Memory is still low hovering under 20% for both. We have the 2CPU, 2GB VM.
According to this Citrix article - https://www.citrix.com/blogs/2015/01/27/understanding-performance-of-netscaler-vpx/, the 2CPU model should support up-to 750 users. So I'm not sure where to look to try and troubleshoot this issue.

Users going through Storefront internally have no such issues so it seems to be something with external access through the Netscaler but I'm not sure where else to look. Any suggestions will be welcome. 

Hi

So I applied the change last night but didn't reboot the Netscaler. Looking at today's performance, it is pretty much still the same. though the number of users has increased to around 230. The TCP profile doesn't seem to have made much of a difference. If anything, it seems a bit more sluggish. I've rolled back to the default profile. Unless it is a setting somewhere else I need to also look at
Any other suggestions?

Do you think it could be something with the throughput we are licensed for?
I took a screenshot of sh license command and the model shown is 5
image.thumb.png.36a33e363e382ee1c763a5bb2683c35f.png

image.thumb.png.1ca29e30e5676920e58c85c77717b964.png

Throughput also doesn't exceed over 5MB looking at Netscaler GUI
image.png.ca7d129cd0c19636369053994bc534b7.png

We have a Citrix Virtual Apps (Presentation Server) Premium License and with it came a Citrix Access Gateway Universal License    

Hi

So to update then, I checked the Mac Moves and didn't get any errors appear

I tried the command for bandwidth and got a whole load of errors appear
image.thumb.png.258f46f7561545931cd254e9db78472f.png

Running the |more it shows errors every few minutes

Running  nsconmsg -K /var/nslog/newnslog -d stats | grep -i nic_err_rl

7205       0          17384449 nic_err_rl_pkt_drops interface(0/1)
 7207       0             53679 nic_err_rl_pkt_drops interface(1/1)
 7209       0          17384449 nic_err_rl_rate_pkt_drops interface(0/1)
 7211       0             53679 nic_err_rl_rate_pkt_drops interface(1/1)
 7213       0                 0 nic_err_rl_pps_pkt_drops
14161       0          17438128 allnic_err_rl_rate_pkt_drops
14163       0                 0 allnic_err_rl_pps_pkt_drops
root@dmz-n1-ctx-ns01# nsconmsg -K /var/nslog/newnslog -d stats | grep -i nic_err_rl
 7205       0          17384449 nic_err_rl_pkt_drops interface(0/1)
 7207       0             53679 nic_err_rl_pkt_drops interface(1/1)
 7209       0          17384449 nic_err_rl_rate_pkt_drops interface(0/1)
 7211       0             53679 nic_err_rl_rate_pkt_drops interface(1/1)
 7213       0                 0 nic_err_rl_pps_pkt_drops
14161       0          17438128 allnic_err_rl_rate_pkt_drops
14163       0                 0 allnic_err_rl_pps_pkt_drops

Regarding the RAM upgrade I read somewhere that the Hyper-V appliance can't have more than 2GB. Is this true or should I be able to upgrade to 4GB?

Also in top left corner it says I have the VPX (5) is this the 5MB version?

image.png

image.png

image.png

image.png

No ... the Universal License are user CCU licenses.

You should see something like Citrix ADC VPX xxxx Mbps or Citrix Gateway.

To upgrade the VPX you would need to purchase a new license through your reseller.

You would need a new license if you spun up a new NetScaler.

OK. I cant see any license related to Citrix ADC VPX on our account. Perhaps it is on another account. Strangely I have two license files registered on the Netscaler and looking at their contents they both have the Standard VPX 5 license.
I can see that I can buy a Citrix ADC VPX 10 License directly from Citrix for around £2000.The next one up is the ADC VPX 200 for £5000. 
Do you think the ADC VPX 10 this would be suitable for my usage of around 250 CCU and if I do buy, is it just  case of changing the license on the current Netscaler or does it involve a Software Update and more configuration?

Capacity depends on what users are running. If you assume 100Kb per user for office users, a VPX 10 could support 100 CCU, and a VPX 50 could support 500 CCU. You might want to profile your users for a few days and check on the # of users and their bandwidth consumption to come up with an estimated bandwidth number per user.

You just need to apply the new license .... no firmware upgrade is required.

Looking at Netscaler now at 9pm in London as we speak it's only using 1Mbps and that is with around 35 sessions. So on average our bandwidth consumption per user is around 40Kbps. I think I'll go for a VPX 25 from a re-seller as they are still selling them even though Citrix don't sell them anymore as I'm worried the VPX 10 might not be sufficient for future growth.