Welcome to our new Citrix community!

CSRSS.exe hanging when user logs off

Question

We have users who launch a published Remote Desktop app (mstsc.exe), after they logoff, sometimes a Microsoft process "csrss.exe" remains running under the users session ID. I'm unable to reproduce on demand.

This can cause issues if the user tries to launch another session. I'm unable to kill the exe or take a DMP of it directly. I was able to pause the VM and copy the memory file out and create a DMP.
I opened a ticket with Citrix initially, they analysed the DMP file and determined that a ticket would have to be opened with Microsoft as there are no Citrix processes hanging that EXE.

This Citrix article is for an older version, but is the exact same issue.
https://support.citrix.com/article/CTX128192

Environment details:
VMWare 6.7
Server 2019
Citrix VA/VD Service, Citrix VDA version is 1912LTSR
Citrix machines are using FSLogix for profile management

21 answers to this question

No; I haven't had any luck preventing it.  A restart of the server is the only way I've found to resolve the issue.

I'd keep that Citrix case open.  I've had lots of these where Citrix doesn't see anything in the dump until Microsoft points out the MS Process hanging is due to a Citrix process hanging...

Good luck!  Feel free to share my experience with Microsoft or Citrix -- I'll happily provide them any information from my environment they would like to see.

I had another one of these today -- This time I noticed the user actually had outlook open.  The Symptom for the user was that the session (seamless instance of outlook) froze.  User couldn't connect to any applications because it kept trying to reconnect to this instance.  I have 75 people on this server, so I can't reboot it so I just have to hide the session so the broker won't try to reconnect it.

You can see the only two session left in Session 206.

image.thumb.png.1acf02561948e557d6f33d9924d3f3c5.png

Can't kill Outlook or CSRSS.  Both produce this message.  Outlook is running under the users context (the only process on the machine that is), and CSRSS is running as system (makes sense I can't kill that -- but I tried!)

image.thumb.png.317be617ae5bf4ea8ddfb191e38a2097.png

I can dump the Outlook.exe process, but CSRSS produces the access is denied error.

image.thumb.png.f3e118e40d3588fd090e7e6d1168d877.png

Sounds like the same issue you're seeing, expect I have additional processes open.

Hey Christopher - do you have any other info on that hotfix? I have two issues with server 2019 and 1912 LTSR - first one is that users sometimes can't reconnect to their sessions. I have to log out the session then they can connect. The other is I get sessions in Studio that aren't on the server. I usually reboot the VDA to clear those but learned about this CSRSS thing recently so I need to see if the user's session ID is still there on some process because they don't show up in task manager at least.

Do you have a MS or Citrix case number that I can pass on? I have cases open with both, and I mentioned this CSRSS hotfix but no one seems to know anything about it.

14 minutes ago, Aaron Ott said:

Hey Christopher - do you have any other info on that hotfix? I have two issues with server 2019 and 1912 LTSR - first one is that users sometimes can't reconnect to their sessions. I have to log out the session then they can connect. The other is I get sessions in Studio that aren't on the server. I usually reboot the VDA to clear those but learned about this CSRSS thing recently so I need to see if the user's session ID is still there on some process because they don't show up in task manager at least.

Do you have a MS or Citrix case number that I can pass on? I have cases open with both, and I mentioned this CSRSS hotfix but no one seems to know anything about it.

I'll DM you the MS Case number. 

No response yet from my Microsoft engineer but it seems like my situation just got worse. Last night, I hid a couple frozen sessions so those users could get back in. This morning, anyone who tried to launch an app would see the Workspace progress bar go through as usual, but then they would see nothing. In Studio, I could see the session was Active and the app was running...it just wasn't showing up for the user. In the Event Logs I'd see immediate disconnects for the user who just logged in. The only fix for this was to bounce the affected application servers.

Hey @christophercable when you ran into this issue, did you notice it was always with random people, or did you see the same users always get stuck? I think I'm seeing the latter. Of our classes of like 80 students, I have 5 or so that are repeat offenders. Curious how this was manifesting in your environment. 

I still haven't installed that new KB because the engineer assigned to my MS case is frustratingly unresponsive. We've had to escalate and ask for a new engineer.

14 hours ago, Aaron Ott said:

Hey @christophercable when you ran into this issue, did you notice it was always with random people, or did you see the same users always get stuck? I think I'm seeing the latter. Of our classes of like 80 students, I have 5 or so that are repeat offenders. Curious how this was manifesting in your environment. 

I still haven't installed that new KB because the engineer assigned to my MS case is frustratingly unresponsive. We've had to escalate and ask for a new engineer.

Hello Aaron, I've verified with MS Support that the KB does include the fix for CSRSS.exe hanging open. They just didn't include that in their patch notes. 

Our issue seemed to happen to people at random, i was unable to reproduce it myself though. I'm not sure the exact circumstances that causes the EXE to hang when a user logs off. 

Hey thanks, that's good to hear. Is that from the same MS case? 

I also can't reproduce it myself. We have CAD classes using CVAD, one class is AutoCAD and we have four others using Solidworks. It seems most of the users who end up with stuck csrss sessions are in the Solidworks classes. I haven't spotted a single AutoCAD user with a stuck session but I can't be sure it's definitely the case there. But even then, it's like a small subset of the Solidworks users too.. I have restart schedules doing daily bounces now while I was waiting for my MS engineer to verify that KB (or at least give me any info at all).