Welcome to our new Citrix community!

Grey Screen On launch of a Windows Server VDAs

Maik Ludwig

Question

Hello, everybody,

we currently have a very annoying problem with our newly set up Citrix environment.
First of all: No upgrades have been done. All servers were freshly installed with Windows Server 2016. We use two controllers and the master image runs on a Windows Server 2016. We also use WEM 1912.

Now it happens with some users that they only see a white/grey image when starting the desktop. If you wait several minutes, an error message from the Desktop Viewer appears:
"The connection to "Desktop" failed with status (Unknown client error 0).

Personally I never had this problem before. I can always start the desktops. A colleague also gets the grey screen on computer 1, on computer 2 not and on computer 3 it reappears (always the same account). Also in Hyper V it works partly and sometimes not.
The problem occurs on all available published desktops. So it is not due to a single master image.
The Workspace App 1911 is used. RDP to the servers works. No Netscaler.

Therefore it is difficult for me to troubleshoot the problem, because the error does not occur on any of my computer.
I have tried some Citrix support articles (including those that only applied to previous upgrades). So far without success. So I hope that someone here can help me.

Thanks and greetings from Germany

Maik

8 answers to this question

Sadly it's not really a solution, more just identifying the cause - EDT is one of the best enhancements to Citrix stack in years.... the challenge is that many overzealous network admins will often kick UDP in the face, and it's quite difficult to troubleshoot. If you have time to invest in troubleshooting, it will be worth it as removing EDT is a bit of a shame

https://support.citrix.com/article/CTX230014

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, James Kindon said:

Do you mean in the HyperV Console you also get the grey screen??

sounds like Failed EDT symptoms other than the HyperV component 

The problem does not only occur in Hyper V. We've only been using Hyper V machines for additional testing.
It doesn't matter if the desktop is launched from storefront website or directly from the WorkSpace app.
The Desktop Viewer opens and shows only a gray image and after a while the above mentioned error occurs.

It doesn't matter if it's a Hyper V machine or a full PC.

Currently we have 6 machines where it works and 4 where it doesn't.

2 hours ago, James Kindon said:

Sadly it's not really a solution, more just identifying the cause - EDT is one of the best enhancements to Citrix stack in years.... the challenge is that many overzealous network admins will often kick UDP in the face, and it's quite difficult to troubleshoot. If you have time to invest in troubleshooting, it will be worth it as removing EDT is a bit of a shame

https://support.citrix.com/article/CTX230014

I will try to troubleshoot the error.
It is hard for me to test changes, because the error does not appear on any of my devices.
I always have to ask colleagues.

Anyway, thanks for the help. I hope I can find the problem.

We have found out that the error only occurs with a VPN connection.

At the moment we are testing some lower MTU values.

It looks like it's working now. Or at least work better.

But we'll have to watch it with a few more test machines before we can be absolutely sure.

I just wanted to give some feedback on the current status. Thanks again! 

On 3/30/2020 at 7:53 PM, Maik Ludwig said:

We have found out that the error only occurs with a VPN connection.

At the moment we are testing some lower MTU values.

It looks like it's working now. Or at least work better.

But we'll have to watch it with a few more test machines before we can be absolutely sure.

I just wanted to give some feedback on the current status. Thanks again! 

Did you get any feedback about this issue? 

Thanks !