Welcome to our new Citrix community!

Failed to launch resource x using the Citrix XML Service at address '??' (GW/FAS/AzureAD)

Kari Ruissalo

We have build a federated authentication to an environment using Azure AD as SAML2 IdP.

We're able to get all the way to the StoreFront view and see the published applications and desktops.

---

When user tries launching an application, we get the following event in the StoreFront logs (Event Id 28):

"Failed to launch the resource 'x' using the Citrix XML Service at address '??'. It was not possible to select a Federated Authentication Service.
Citrix.DeliveryServices.FederatedAuthenticationService.VdaLogonDataProvider.Diagnostics.FasException, Citrix.DeliveryServices.FederatedAuthenticationService.VdaLogonDataProvider, Version=3.18.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null
It was not possible to select a Federated Authentication Service."

---

I have already checked the following:
- FAS GPO is hitting StoreFronts, Controllers and VDAs (and the value is shown properly in registry)
- StoreFront is able to resolve FAS IP addresses
- The powershell commands for StoreFront have been ran (FASClaimsFactory, FASLogonDataProvider)
- The Citrix Site setting TrustRequestsSenttoTheXMLServicePort is set to true
- The FAS certificate templates have been installed to AD, published and both of the FAS servers have been authorized
- In the FAS rule I have set it with defaults (name: Default, for Access Control I have added the StoreFront computer accounts and removed the deny rule)
- I have verified that the user has UPN defined (in local AD), https://support.citrix.com/article/CTX220682 -> Solution 1

5 hours ago, Ganesh Raju said:

Do we have multiple FAS server in your environments? if so, is same GPO applied to VDA and StoreFront? Is FAS FQDN correctly in the GPO/registry?

We have two FAS servers and they are configured in the GPO. The same GPO has been applied to VDA and StoreFront.

And they show properly in the registry.

• 1 year later...
On 3/24/2020 at 12:09 AM, Kari Ruissalo said:

Hi Ganesh,

We actually found the issue and got this working. A set of IPSec rules was applied to the FAS servers. The error message was a bit misleading as it easily leads to a conclusion that the XML servers cannot be reached.

What was applying the IPSec rule?  Something unrelated to Citrix?

• 2 months later...