Welcome to our new Citrix community!

If I want to update windows or application with Machine Catalog by using MCS method. How to update with VM Template published (Master Image) to edit at master image or re-create new VM template published.

Artimus Aunos

Question

Hello,

I would like to ask 2 questions

1.  about VM Template published (Master Image). After I have deployed to publish image  to Master Image at ESX, already.  

I can edit some data to this Master Image before  create Machine Catalog or need to re-edit at ELM Console Only?

2.  In case  I have used VM Template Published (Master Image)  to create Machine Catalog and Delivery Group, already.  If I want to update Windows components or other application how can I do next step?   I still not clear how to deploy to update Windows Component or Other Applications to update Machine Catalog.  

-  Editing at Master Image  (VM Template Published as I created Machine catalog)

-  Or After Update Windows Layer , App Layer  that it can synchronized with Master Image or VMs (Server or VDI) created from Machine Catalog.

- Or Need to deployed new VM Template Published (new Master Image) and use this VM to update Machine Catalog.

3. For Elastic Layer that can use Application Layer or not?   Need to enable Application layer as creating

Regards,

Artimus.

2 answers to this question

Hi Artimus,

for 1 yes you can modify the master image directly if you want to.  Just remember to go back and make the changes to the underlying layers so you have them for the next publish.

for 2 to update a master image you just publish a new one then updtae the catalog and point to the new image.

I'm not sure what you are asking in 3.  But yes most app layers can be elastic layers.  We have something called elastic fit which will tell you if we think the layer can be used or not.  That's in the properties of the version.  You cannot use elastic layers for applications with 3rd party drivers, kernel drivers, filter drivers or anything that has to be there when the machine boots.

Rob

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Rob Zylowski1709158051 said:

Hi Artimus,

for 1 yes you can modify the master image directly if you want to.  Just remember to go back and make the changes to the underlying layers so you have them for the next publish.

for 2 to update a master image you just publish a new one then updtae the catalog and point to the new image.

I'm not sure what you are asking in 3.  But yes most app layers can be elastic layers.  We have something called elastic fit which will tell you if we think the layer can be used or not.  That's in the properties of the version.  You cannot use elastic layers for applications with 3rd party drivers, kernel drivers, filter drivers or anything that has to be there when the machine boots.

Rob

Thank you...