Welcome to our new Citrix community!

Citrix 7.6 inherited environment lacking general housekeeping

Rob Ramsden

Question

Hi,

Forgive me if this is in the wrong forum thread.

I have inherited a 7.6 environment that had until November 19 not been touched for over 18 months. At that point I updated the NetScaler to NS11.1 63.9nc and Citrix Studio on the Delivery Controllers to 7.6.2.5029 and Storefront to 3.16.0.19022.

I know a little about Citrix and have tried to reverse engineer the setup of this, but can somebody tell me how I can identify the Gold Image please? I have identified the servers in the Machine Catalog where the apps and Virtual Desktops are presented.

When I have identified the Gold Image how do I then update the machine catalog devices?

There are also a number of errors in the environment.

1. The supplied address for the compute resource is invalid. In this case, the compute resource is what hosts your virtual desktops (such as your hypervisor, a server running SCCM, or a cloud-based controller)

2. Within Citrix Director there is a license error occurring. The license server is not connected and the supplemental grace period has started.

Should there be anything else I need to consider? Updating the Delivery Controllers to a newer version of storefront and studio?

Any pointers would be absolutely brilliant.

Thanks,

Rob

11 answers to this question

3 hours ago, Rob Ramsden said:

Hi,

Forgive me if this is in the wrong forum thread.

I have inherited a 7.6 environment that had until November 19 not been touched for over 18 months. At that point I updated the NetScaler to NS11.1 63.9nc and Citrix Studio on the Delivery Controllers to 7.6.2.5029 and Storefront to 3.16.0.19022.

I know a little about Citrix and have tried to reverse engineer the setup of this, but can somebody tell me how I can identify the Gold Image please? I have identified the servers in the Machine Catalog where the apps and Virtual Desktops are presented.

When I have identified the Gold Image how do I then update the machine catalog devices?

1. The supplied address for the compute resource is invalid. In this case, the compute resource is what hosts your virtual desktops (such as your hypervisor, a server running SCCM, or a cloud-based controller)

2. Within Citrix Director there is a license error occurring. The license server is not connected and the supplemental grace period has started.

Should there be anything else I need to consider? Updating the Delivery Controllers to a newer version of storefront and studio?

Any pointers would be absolutely brilliant.

Thanks,

Rob

Hi,

Please see my response below

Run the following POSH commands : 
asnp Citrix* (Add the snap ins for Citrix commands) 
Get-BrokerCatalog -Name (Note the ProvisioningSchemeId) 

image.thumb.png.9ccbf25ba9aac5d699e57093332296fb.png

Get-ProvScheme -ProvisioningSchemeUid 
image.thumb.png.0066237c5402752e65966dd3b9aad51c.png

Ref:https://support.citrix.com/article/CTX217022

1. Update or create a new master image
  2. Before you update the catalog, either update an existing master image or create a new one on your host hypervisor.
  3. On your hypervisor or cloud service provider, take a snapshot of the current VM and give the snapshot a meaningful name. This snapshot can be used to revert (roll back) machines in the catalog, if needed.
  4. If necessary, power on the master image, and log on.
  5. Install updates or make any required changes to the master image.
  6. If the master image uses a personal vDisk, update the inventory.
  7. Power off the VM.
  8. Take a snapshot of the VM, and give the snapshot a meaningful name that will be recognized when the catalog is updated in Studio. Although Studio can create a snapshot, Citrix recommends that you create a snapshot using the hypervisor management console, and then select that snapshot in Studio. This enables you to provide a meaningful name and description rather than an automatically generated name. For GPU master images, you can change the master image only through the XenServer XenCenter console.

Update the catalog

1. To prepare and roll out the update to all machines in a catalog:
  2. Select Machine Catalogs in the Studio navigation pane.
  3. Select a catalog and then select Update Machines in the Actions pane.
  4. On the Master Image page, select the host and the image you want to roll out.
  5. On the Rollout Strategy page, choose when the machines in the Machine Catalog will be updated with the new master image: on the next shutdown or immediately. See below for details.
  6. Verify the information on the Summary page and then click Finish. Each machine restarts automatically after it is updated.

Ref:https://www.jgspiers.com/updating-an-mcs-master-image/

As I understand correctly you need to recreate the hosting connections and or valid the old hosting connections.

To resolve this issue, follow these steps to add a License Server: 

• On the Dellivery Controller, Open Studio
  • Select Configuration > Licensing 
  • Select Change License Server in the Actions pane.
  • Type the address of the license server in the form name:port, where name is a DNS, NetBIOS, or IP address. If you do not specify a port number, the default port (27000) is used.

Thanks 

Manoj

Thanks Manoj. I appreciate any assistance on this.

I have managed to verify the master image. I will work through the steps to update and then rollout to my machines.

For my point 2 regarding license issue. I am unable to see the licensing option within Studio. Could this be permissions related due to the user I am using?

• Like 1

Definitely permissions. I have a different user that can now see the licensing option. This is all set up correctly as far as I can see.

If I then click on Hosting and test resources it fails on 5 of the 6  tests. 

All 5 failures detail - 

A connection could not be established with the hypervisor.
Check the hypervisor and connection details.

I am running VMware 6.0 and is pointing to specific storage (datastores) where the vdisk is stored? Would any changes within this environment cause this? I suspect there may have been a change but cannot confirm.

Citrix License.jpg

Hi,

There may be certificate issue? maybe  vCenter security Certificate is not installed on each Citrix Desktop Delivery controller.

Also if you need to check vLAN, storage etc 

• On the Dellivery Controller, Open Studio
  • Select Configuration > Hosting

You will now see the  storage (datastores) and vLAN.

Thanks 

Manoj