Welcome to our new Citrix community!

MCS with hyper-v with local host storage

Anup Gandhi

Question

Hi all,

Have a question regarding setting up MCS for multiple standalone hosts with local storage

Environment:

Hyper-V, environment with multiple standalone hosts with local storage

XenApp 7.15 production environment

I want to set up a persistent MCS catalog using ONE golden image VM, i.e., we dont have VDIs in our environment. the VMs will be all VDAs spun up from one golden image, with each host running approx. 4 VDAs and more then 150+ vdas in total with 250gb disk attached to each of the vdas

I would much prefer if I could have ONE Machine Catalog for all Hosting Resource locations.

Is this setup even possible / efficient? or I have to have shared storage for such large deployment?  how would be the performance if I am using the local storage, I can imagine a boot storm but what about once the VDAs are up, will there be any concerns around performance?  I have above setup running in a POC environment with local storage for just one host, just fine. 

Any help appreciated, thanks!

3 answers to this question

I once played with a design where I had 40 physical servers running one Virtual on each Physical.  I tried both XenServer and Hyper-V on the physicals, but it didn't pan out for me.  With 40 different storages, regardless of the hypervisor, MCS had to copy an image out to 40 different machines.  I believe I made it to 12 servers up at once before I abandoned the design -- it was taking 4-5 hours just to update the golden image and push out the updated template.

Keep that in mind -- the more local storage you have, the longer it's going to take to push your image changes out to all of the hosts.  The deal breaker wasn't necessarily pushing a change, but backing one out...

I hope the design works for you, but local storage seems to bottleneck these types of designs and prevent them from scaling well.

• Like 1
5 hours ago, Joe Robinson said:

I once played with a design where I had 40 physical servers running one Virtual on each Physical.  I tried both XenServer and Hyper-V on the physicals, but it didn't pan out for me.  With 40 different storages, regardless of the hypervisor, MCS had to copy an image out to 40 different machines.  I believe I made it to 12 servers up at once before I abandoned the design -- it was taking 4-5 hours just to update the golden image and push out the updated template.

Keep that in mind -- the more local storage you have, the longer it's going to take to push your image changes out to all of the hosts.  The deal breaker wasn't necessarily pushing a change, but backing one out...

I hope the design works for you, but local storage seems to bottleneck these types of designs and prevent them from scaling well.

Thanks for the response. Your statement regarding the backout is right on. What are your thoughts on using simple NFS storage. Any idea regarding performance, if it can sustain boot storm for 150+ vms. Any tips for setting up a NFS for the purpose.

Thanks again.

Anup