Welcome to our new Citrix community!

How to configure Folder Redirection & Drive Maps

Marc Kuhn

Question

Hi all

i learned this week a lot about Optimizing Logon Times in the webinar from James Ranking, really interesting stuff. The one peace i picked up is that folder redirection and mapping Network drives via GPO is very slow. In the new Citrix Director there is a drilldown of the GPO's and i see it there as well. Without that two pieces i managed to have 11 sec logon time.

I'm wondering, how you guy's are configuring it for a Windows 2019 Server with CVAD1911 LTSR Desktop configured with FSLogix Profiledisk. I would prefer to have the redirected folders to have in another place than the VHDX as it could happen to reset a users Profile.

Many thanks for your advice's.

Best regards,

Marc

3 answers to this question

Hi Eric

thanks a lot for your feedback. So you are also still doing Folder Redir's then, just configured with WEM, right? I would like to check out if that peace of software is doing what i intend to do. Do you know if there is a Citrix Partner License for it which i could use for our Lab?

Best regards,
Marc

Folder redirection is still predominant in most organizations and wont go away any time soon. I see it heavily used regularly driven by both WEM and GPO - both technologies write the same keys, it's just handled at a different time (GPO is during, WEM is post logon)

The trick is to redirect what you need, documents and desktops are the two standouts for user consistency - most other things are are not required and will kill performance (appData, Search, Start Menu etc)

OneDrive is a nice option if you are going down that path, redirecting data into OneDrive and then consuming it via Sync across all devices are pretty neat