Welcome to our new Citrix community!

HA between VPX Instances

Hi All,

Hope you all are doing well, 
I have a problem on two VPX instances on SDX appliance, so i'm going to explain my problem, 

I have Two SDX appliances 8920 and i have created a Three VPX's on each of them

the first SDX has 3 VPXs and the second one has 3 VPXs 

My design is  to make HA between one VPX instance on the first SDX appliance with another VPX on the second SDX appliance 

like this 

-------------------------------

VPX 1   , VPX 2   , VPX 3            ## this is the First SDX ###

|          |             |                        consider it like HA between the VPX instances 

|          |             | 

VPX 1    , VPX 2     ,VPX 3         ## this is the  Second SDX ###

so my problem is that, the HA between VPX1 on the first SDX and the VPX1 on the second SDX not working well, 

when i make VPX 1 as primary after 20 min it become secondary and i got error on the system log "HA heartbeat not received on LA/1 missing 15 Heartbeat "

and after checking the interfaces on the switch there is no physical disconnection , CRC or drop on the Port channel and interfaces as well,

and i checked the time between these two VPX's, the time matched between them.

while the other VPX's on the same SDX's working fine in HA without any problem.

i would appreciate your support  if there is any one can help. 

** All SDX appliances and VPX instances have the latest image release 13.0 build 47.24.

So, 2 of your HA pairs (vpx2 and vpx3) are fine, but only HA pair VPX1 on your two chassis is having issues.  (Or have you not yet configured pair2 and pair3?)

And your issue is with LACP/channel settings.

A couple of other things to check, if Carl's notes don't help you. 

- Do you also have any LACP channels created for your VPX2 and VPX3 ha pairs or is the LACP config unique to VPX 1?  Is there anything unique about the VPX1 ha pair that is different from your VPX2 or VPX3 pairs?

- If you check nslog in the ha pair, do you see any networking issues that might indicate a channel misconfiguration between VPX1a and VPX1b , as channel settings are not synced in an ha pair and has to be applied to both sides?   Or is there a disagreement between the switch's view of the LACP channel and the VPX1's view of the channel?

shell

cd /var/nslog

nsconmsg -K newnslog -d event

nsconmsg -K newnslog -d consmsg

Especially look to see if you see any channel issues, indications of switch muting ports etc...

- Verify if not already done that you have the same channel aggregation/vlan bindings on VPX1a and 1b and the switch and other settings agree with each other.  You might temporarily try a single interface instead of a channel config just to isolate issues.

7 hours ago, Rhonda Rowland1709152125 said:

So, 2 of your HA pairs (vpx2 and vpx3) are fine, but only HA pair VPX1 on your two chassis is having issues.  (Or have you not yet configured pair2 and pair3?)

And your issue is with LACP/channel settings.

A couple of other things to check, if Carl's notes don't help you. 

- Do you also have any LACP channels created for your VPX2 and VPX3 ha pairs or is the LACP config unique to VPX 1? 

I have Created LACP channel on pair2 and Pair3 as well and it's working fine without any problem,

Is there anything unique about the VPX1 ha pair that is different from your VPX2 or VPX3 pairs?

No,I made the same configuration on all Pairs just the first Pair have a problem on it and it  has 10Gig interfaces and the other pairs have 1Gig interfaces.
maybe the problem because of 10G interfaces ?
and i noticed the on the 10G interfaces there is  option Called "
Flow Control Auto Negotiation*"and it is off while the other 1Gig interfaces is on. 

- If you check nslog in the ha pair, do you see any networking issues that might indicate a channel misconfiguration between VPX1a and VPX1b , as channel settings are not synced in an ha pair and has to be applied to both sides?   Or is there a disagreement between the switch's view of the LACP channel and the VPX1's view of the channel?

shell

cd /var/nslog

nsconmsg -K newnslog -d event

nsconmsg -K newnslog -d consmsg

Especially look to see if you see any channel issues, indications of switch muting ports etc...

I did the previous command and i didn't see  any channel issue, if you want i cant provide you the log to double check.

- Verify if not already done that you have the same channel aggregation/vlan bindings on VPX1a and 1b and the switch and other settings agree with each other.  You might temporarily try a single interface instead of a channel config just to isolate issues.

I'm going to make HA Mon and HA Heartbeat through Management interface instead of LA, and i will get back to you with the result.

8 hours ago, Carl Stalhood1709151912 said:

Does the port channel allow untagged packets (aka native VLAN)? If not, then in ADC, you'll need to uncheck tagged for one of the VLANs, then go to System > Network > Channels, edit the channel, and enable Tag All.

Hi CARL, 
yes it does , the port channel allow untagged packet, there is no any type of tagging on the port channel itself.