Welcome to our new Citrix community!

Update LTSR1912: Software components failing

Alexander Spies

Question

We are trying to upgrade our production Environment from 7.15 CU3 LTSR to 1912 LTSR and are running into issues when installing/initializing the various components on our DDCs. Our lab Environment worked smoothly.

During AutoSelect.exe Setup we had issues on the first DDC when upgrading the Storefront component.

An error occured with the Operation for Storefront.
Troubleshoot using article https://docs.citrix.com/en-us/citrix-virtual-apps-desktops/XD-0050.html
For Details, see […]Citrix-DeliveryServicesSetupConsole-[…].txt

The only helpful Point in the Docs-article was to completely uninstall Storefront - but wouldn't that lead to total loss of existing configurations, so everything has to be reconfigured manually?

The resulting .txt showed this.

[Error] [UpgradeTasks::RedeployBrokenProtocolTransitionService] CheckForAndRepairBrokenService caught exception:System.Exception: DeployServiceInternal error: PowerShell script failed: System.Management.Automation.CmdletInvocationException: A command that prompts the user failed because the host program or the command type does not support user interaction. Try a host program that supports user interaction, such as the Windows PowerShell Console or Windows PowerShell ISE, and remove prompt-related commands from command types that do not support user interaction, such as Windows PowerShell workflows. ---> System.Management.Automation.Host.HostException: A command that prompts […]

The broken StoreFront-upgrade lead to the AutoSelect-setup to appear frozen. After restarting DDC and installing the Storefront-component with the Standalone MSI, we restarted the AutoSelect-Setup which recognized all components as installed, but failed at initializing the components.

Error Id: XDMI:5668EFE7
Exception: Error Source: Citrix Studio
StackTrace: Citrix.MetaInstaller.Exceptions.MetaInstallerException Config tool 'C:\Program Files\Citrix\Trust\Service\Citrix.Trust.exe' failed on initialization with error Code -1.

The full log of the Setup showed the same Statements. Citrix Support told us to check permissions for the install user as well as the permissions of the DDC Computer accounts inside the SQL-database as well as the SIDs of the DDCs - everything was as it should be.

A support case with Citrix was opened up, but as mentioned above, we are still left unsure, if another run at the Installation will not return further issues! Logs attached.

EDIT: Our Environment exists of two DDCs with all components included (Licensing, Storefront, Director). One centralized SQL-database.

DDCs are set like this:
- Windows Server 2012 R2
- PSVersion 4.0
- Studio 7.15.3000.457
- Storefront 3.12.3000.54

ErrorLog.txt DeliveryServiceSetupConsole-2020-02-19-18-24-22.txt

4 answers to this question

Thank you for the suggestions. We did some research ourselves by cloning one of the DDCs into a separate environment.

In the end, we finished the upgrade process by runinng the Storefrontx64.msi standalone setup first, with a mixture of different Citrix suggestions or known issues.
First we checked https://docs.citrix.com/en-us/citrix-virtual-apps-desktops/XD-0050.html again and did all of the following:

• Delete any thumbs.db files inside C:\inetpub\wwwroot\Citrix\   (there were none)
  • Confirm that servers being upgraded are removed from any load balancer and have no active user sessions connected.
  • Stop the following services: CitrixConfigurationReplication; CitrixCredentialWallet; CitrixDefaultDomainService; CitrixPeerResolutionService; CitrixSubscriptionsStore

Additionally we added suggestions from https://support.citrix.com/article/CTX220321:

• Clear files in C:\inetpub\wwwroot\Citrix\<all folders>\App_Data\CtxsWebProxyIconCache\
  • Rename C:\ProgramData\Citrix\Storefront Install\   (optional: delete)
  • Check C:\Program Files\Citrix\Receiver StoreFront\Services\ProtocolTransitionService\Citrix.DeliveryServices.ProtocolTransition.ServiceHost.exe.config  regarding the version - does it match the currently installed Storefront? It didn't for us, as it was 3.11 instead of 3.12 - we backuped the file and changed all values reading 3.11 to 3.12. I'm sure this was the main step in helping us upgrading Storefront successfully!

We upgraded the rest of the DDC components (Controller, Studio, Director) via AutoSelect.exe and the setup finished without issues.

We chose manually upgrade the database afterwards and only received one .sql-file and the ps1-scripts disabled/enabled only to DbConnections. During the broken upgrade 12 days ago and in our Lab environment, we had way more DbConnections to enable/disable and had three .sql-files for all different SQL-database types.

EDIT:

The only difference: The 2nd DDC was running during the broken upgrade and in the Lab Environment, but was shutdown during the whole upgrade process of DDC1.

We were concerned of not having completed a whole upgrade process and consulted Citrix Support. In a remote-support session, they analyzed the DDC Servers regarding Studio Version, checking the CONFIGURATION Tab inside Studio if the database Connections are correct and no warnings are shown and by using PowerShell Get-BrokerController to check on the shown Information. Support worker then confirmed that we are fine regarding the upgrade process.

Therefore, the above mentioned steps towards Storefront-upgrade helped us finishing the environment upgrade process completely.

Edited by fraport.spies
  • Like 1

I have had the same error for storefront at one customer site.

because I have taken config backups prior the upgrade I was relaxed and just started autoselect setup again. On the second try upgrade compleated successfully. Only problem after successfull second try was that the www publishing services where set to disabled and needed to be reconfigured manually.

• Like 1

I has issues upgrading some of my DDCs to 1912 with the Broker Service,  similar error to this line

19:09:15.8087 $ERR$ : XenDesktopSetup:Process error output: Error occurred: Time out has expired and the operation has not been completed.

This installer was not able to stop the service \ kill the running process in a timely manner and setup would fail.  A server reboot and manually stopping the service fixed it for me on 2nd installation attempt.

On 3/2/2020 at 8:46 PM, Martin Meier said:

I have had the same error for storefront at one customer site.

because I have taken config backups prior the upgrade I was relaxed and just started autoselect setup again. On the second try upgrade compleated successfully. Only problem after successfull second try was that the www publishing services where set to disabled and needed to be reconfigured manually.

this worked by golly. 1000 thanks