Welcome to our new Citrix community!

Howto add a virtual network adapter for XEN Server

Uwe Dittus

Question

Hi,

I run XenServer on a dedicated server and the operator provides a second IP adress.

The first is configured by DHCP and now they told me to add the second as a static IP on top of eth1.

There is a plenty set of instruction doing this on any OS, but I'm lost somehow with Hypervisor 8.

Thanks for hints or suggestions

5 answers to this question

Thank you Tobias,

I was following this guide here https://support.citrix.com/article/CTX121169 but I have an issue setting up the guests network.

Actually I have two addresses from my provider.

add1: xxx.yy.19.219/24

add2: zz.vvv.194.174/24

I managed to assign add2 xenbr0:1 to be pingable from outside, actually I'd like to assign add2 to one VM guest and use add1 for management.

You'll have to check on your network switch what port(s) can be routed. Are you able to assign VLANs? That is one option, but you should still be able to set up additional networks using separate NICs as long as the switch will permit the IP addresses to be routed, and that will require a public address if you want the VMs to be accessed from the outside world.

8 hours ago, Tobias Kreidl said:

You'll have to check on your network switch what port(s) can be routed. Are you able to assign VLANs?

Which network switch do you mean exactly? If you mean the real exisiting hardware switch, I have no access.

8 hours ago, Tobias Kreidl said:

you should still be able to set up additional networks using separate NICs

You mean hardware NICs? Please find the current situation attached (Prior post edited). The IPs are public indeed. Btw. ETH0 is down because the provider uses that NIC as fallback.

ifconfig.PNG

But in case I understood the articles (link, link) I read correct, there must be at least a second public IP assigned to the VM Guest, which is in the same subnet like add2 (in my case). And when I get you right, I have to be able to route traffic between the those two addresses as an alternative?

Not sure if this goes into the right direction? I guess not and I'm actually afraid of loosing the connection to the system.

Just for comprehension, add1 and add2 must be configured to the host hardware to be accessible from outside. But add2 should be the IP of the VM guest. How tell I the world that traffic for add2 is accessible through add1 on NIC eth1?

At the end, this is the goal (copyright @Hetzner):

goal.thumb.PNG.0dd9634424f0b4f628a44c4f6bd6f6f1.PNG