Welcome to our new Citrix community!

Netscaler VPX system upgrade lacks space

YAN BENOIST

Hello everybody,

I'm using an old Netscaler VPX 11.1build 50.10 virtual instance on ESX 6.5 and decided to upgrade it.

As i read somewhere that it's better to go to the last 11.1 version and then to 12.0 and so on, i download the "build-11.1-63.15_nc.tgz" file and copied it on the ADC to the /var/nsinstall directory (i first tried to upload it from a local PC but it takes so long (10 min) that at the end there's a message that i've been logged off and nothing seems to have been uploaded).

The System Upgrade button reads the file but ends telling that i don't have enough space on /var. (The VPX instance has the default configuration with one HDD of 20GB.)

Using an SSH connection, i see with the "df -h" command that my /var is 96% full.

Searched around the different ways to reduce the size and make some cleaning but no way to get below 95%.

I added 10G to my VPX VM but as i'm really not a Linux guy, i wonder how i could *increase* /var to be able to upgrade.

Is there a way to do it or should it be better to create a brand new VPX instance (with the latest v13.0) and, if possible, restore a v11.1 backup ?

TIA for your advices.

See here about freeing up space and my notes below:  https://docs.citrix.com/en-us/citrix-adc/12-1/system/troubleshooting-citrix-adc/how-to-free-space-on-var-directory.html

First look in your /var/nsinstall directory and see if you can delete any previous builds (except for your last one so you can recovery). As a vpx, you can also make a snapshot before making major changes. (Depending on if this is a test or production system).  You can archive previous .tgz's off system so you can restore a specific build if needed.

You might need to archive and clear out logs, especially if extracted on appliance.

Locations that are most likely to affect your space utilization:

/var/nsinstall/<previous builds>  you might want to keep the compressed .tgz while deleting previous extracted files. Be sure you know what to keep to allow a downgrade if needed.

/var/log/   If you view a lot of your past syslog files on system, then when these get extracted they take up more space than their compressed counterparts.  To view on system better to use zcat or zmore so you can view without extracting (instead of the GUI which always extracts) or export off system for long term retention.

Might also be an issue if custom log file rollover and retention were implemented.

/var/nslog/  newnslog is current nslog file and past newnslog files are here. Usually compressed; but if you extract and view on system, they can be big.  Export to retain, if needed or clean up unnecessary files.

Check /var/core and /var/crash for past core and crash dumps

Check /var/nstrace for past trace files

One other place, check the adc appliance for local copies of the system backup:  /var/ns_system_backup/

As this may have more than you thought.   See this thread (2017).  https://discussions.citrix.com/topic/385467-netscaler-vpx-out-of-disk-space/

I didn't realize this, but at the time, MAS/ADM would leave the backups it made on the managed NS instance.  I don't know if that still does it; but that could also explain the out of disk space issue.

At least one article I saw said your really not going to expand the disk on an existing vpx, but that is an older thread and I'm not sure if its still relevant (but i think so): https://discussions.citrix.com/topic/377740-expand-disk-drive/

If you really want to increase vpx size, probably a new vpx  instance  and migrating config can give you more space than trying to change the current vm. (If on SDX, when the vpx is created, more cpu means it gets more space allocated.)  But you might still want to review why your current /var is so full and if there are log settings or other things that need to be tweaked to resolve the current situation or prevent in the future.  

• Like 1