Welcome to our new Citrix community!

cannot create or edit layers anymore in 2.9

Martin Poirier

Question

Yes, I know 2.9 is out of support and we are moving off of it, we have users on Windows 10 on app layering, but not quite ready for everyone yet.

When I attempt to create a new layer, it fails with this error

The CachePoint Appliance could not create the boot image. Error is: Failed to reattach disks to the desktop that were temporarily attached to the CachePoint Appliance; export the logs and notify Technical Support that this error occurred.

The vSphere error showing is:

FIle[]/vmfs/volumes/****/IM-1/IM-1vmdk was not found

Nothing in the logs seem to indicate any error as described here https://support.citrix.com/article/CTX233778 (unless i'm looking in the wrong place).  I tried restarted all CP's and MA with no change.  I also re-created the IM and still had the same issue.  I do know that this issue started after a storage issue we had, however, that's been resolved and there are no other issues in Unidesk besides this.

I did notice that when we get the error, the IM's folder gets renamed for some reason.  The IM is called IM1 and after the error shows up, the folder is renamed IM1_1 and its now missing the vmdk file. 

So if I try again to edit a layer, I then get this error :

The virtual infrastructure failed to reconfigure a virtual machine. Error is: Internal client error: 'Couldn't find the current boot disk in the list of disk'

Which makes sense, since the folder has been renamed.

Any ideas that anyone can remember from the 2.x world ?

I'm on 2.9.3, vSphere 6.0, Win7 32-bit.

4 answers to this question

Try this:

Installation machine creates OK ,but when editing a layer version seeing error " Failed to reattach disks to the desktop that were temporarily attached to the CachePoint Appliance; export the logs and notify Technical Support that this error occurred"

Error in V-sphere shows unable to find the ESXi path to the boot disk. If you look at where the boot disk should be for the installation machine there is no .vmdk file.

This is most likely a result of when the OS layer was created on one version of Virtual Machine hardware, exp: Virtual Machine Version 10, and the installation machine was created on different Virtual Machine Version, exp: virtual Machine 1.

We are not sure why this happens but the fix is:

edit settings in v-sphere for the installation machine
add Hard Disk, New, Create a new virtual disk, (can be any size, say 3 GB, default size seen for IM in lab)
thin provisioned, store with virtual machine
add it as SCSI (0:0), Hard drive 1.
Finish

The Installation machine should function normally