Welcome to our new Citrix community!

VMware Memory Optimizations with VDI

Randy Mysliwiec1709160374

Question

I came across this article the other day and wanted to get some input on whether or not members of the community have enabled Inter-VM TPS and disabled large pages in their environment.

https://4sysops.com/archives/vmware-memory-optimization/  

The Windows 10 VDI environment I run is heavily memory over committed with significant ballooning to manage it. Host memory is ~98% consumed with ~40% active.  CPU is <50% utilized.  The user experience is good so I have not worried too much about it.  However, I need to begin on-boarding a significant amount of users and I am concerned about the memory requirements.  I did a test with enabling Inter-VM TPS and disabling large memory pages and observed ~30% decease in memory consumption and no ballooning.  I did not observe any impact to the user experience and negligible impact to CPU usage.  It seems like TPS would be a much better solution than ballooning as ballooning is still stealing from one VM to feed another whereas TPS is sharing.   I understand the security implications on enabling Inter-VM TPS but understand it as an almost academic exploit and not likely to be able to be exploitable in the real-world. 

I'd enjoy hearing your comments on this topic.  

Thanks!

Randy

1 answer to this question