Welcome to our new Citrix community!

XenServer 8.1 Upgrade. Poolmaster doesn't migrate automatically to another host before starting upgrade.

David Ross1709151782

Question

Hello All,

I was involved in a XenServer/Hypervisor upgrade last night. Version 8.0 to 8.1.

We decided to use the rolling pool upgrade. I've used this for older versions of the software 7.1 Cu2 to be precise. Quite old I know.

I was expecting when the upgrade started that the pool master would migrate that role onto one of the other hosts. However this did not happen. Would I be right in saying this feature has been removed?

I know the other hosts just go into emergency mode and continue to run the guest machines.

Reading the Citrix docs on rolling pool upgrades for 8.1 it only mentions the pool master in any detail if you were running the upgrade from the command line.

Thanks

3 answers to this question

Sometimes, there is enough of a change in the CPU mask that there is an incompatibility that takes place during an upgrade. The pool master still needs to be the first host upgraded, regardless. I have found at times you have to manually migrate VMs across hosts using the CLI as the automatic rolling pool upgrade fails.

One way or another, your just upgraded 8.1 host needs to be designated the pool master, worst case using the CLI command. You should be able to continue the upgrade from that point onward. The command should be: xe pool-designate-new-master host-uuid=(UUID of new host)

-=Tobias

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Tobias Kreidl said:

Sometimes, there is enough of a change in the CPU mask that there is an incompatibility that takes place during an upgrade. The pool master still needs to be the first host upgraded, regardless. I have found at times you have to manually migrate VMs across hosts using the CLI as the automatic rolling pool upgrade fails.

One way or another, your just upgraded 8.1 host needs to be designated the pool master, worst case using the CLI command. You should be able to continue the upgrade from that point onward. The command should be: xe pool-designate-new-master host-uuid=(UUID of new host)

-=Tobias

Thanks for replying Tobias.

So if there was no change in the CPU Mask would the rolling pool upgrade have nominated another host to become master?

Thanks 

Yes, it should but it doesn't mean even so if the rolling pool upgrade will continue to work! It looks like you will have to manually intercede, in any case, if it's hung. Again, only a host that has alredy been upgraded to 8.1 should be made into a pool master or you will not be able to continue the upgrade process.

-=Tobias