Welcome to our new Citrix community!

adm using preconfigured object in adc?

Hi, 

I have a lab setup with one ADC and one ADM. Before I setup the ADM i already had some config in my adc. Can i use those objects in adm? I have a object named vs_1 with a service called vs_1_realserver created manually, i also have a virtual server named vs_2 (created in adm), but it´s unable to use vs_1_realserver and in adm i cant even see it, is that correct behavior? I can although use it if i first unbind it from vs_1 and bind it to vs_2 and then rebind it to vs_1 again... seems weird..

What feature or context are you asking about?

When an ADC is integrated with ADM for management, you will see after discovery your lb vserver and other entities in the ADM dashboards (Network Dashboard, Instance Dashaboard, and likely the Application Dashboard if licensed.)

From ADM, you can then view up/down states and enable/disable the the lb vserver/services (and related entities).

So, if after the discovery, you don't have any lb vserver or other entities in the network dashboard or the Network Functions category, there may be an issue with your discovery or account rights you gave ADM.

If you are expecting Insight/Analytics to be returned either HDX Insight / Web Insight or other, that is not enabled by default and must be turned on.  Go to the Networks > Instances node. Find your ADC instance and then select and use the ADM action menu to enable Insight.  There's more to this part of course.

ADM will act as an SNMP trap destnation for alerts.  If you also want syslogging capabilities you can enable that through ADM or configure an audit policy on the ADC to direct traffic to the ADM. The built-in task in ADM makes this easy for you.

ADM is just a multi-ADC (and other component) management console. So I'm not sure what you mean "can I use those entities in ADM".  ADM will allow you to see what the ADC has configured, do some operational config changes from ADM which are pushed to the ADC which owns the entities.  And other centralized logging/reporting (without getting into all the capabilities.)

If this doesn't answer your question, feel free to clarify your question.

On 2/14/2020 at 5:33 PM, Rhonda Rowland1709152125 said:

What feature or context are you asking about?

When an ADC is integrated with ADM for management, you will see after discovery your lb vserver and other entities in the ADM dashboards (Network Dashboard, Instance Dashaboard, and likely the Application Dashboard if licensed.)

From ADM, you can then view up/down states and enable/disable the the lb vserver/services (and related entities).

So, if after the discovery, you don't have any lb vserver or other entities in the network dashboard or the Network Functions category, there may be an issue with your discovery or account rights you gave ADM.

If you are expecting Insight/Analytics to be returned either HDX Insight / Web Insight or other, that is not enabled by default and must be turned on.  Go to the Networks > Instances node. Find your ADC instance and then select and use the ADM action menu to enable Insight.  There's more to this part of course.

ADM will act as an SNMP trap destnation for alerts.  If you also want syslogging capabilities you can enable that through ADM or configure an audit policy on the ADC to direct traffic to the ADM. The built-in task in ADM makes this easy for you.

ADM is just a multi-ADC (and other component) management console. So I'm not sure what you mean "can I use those entities in ADM".  ADM will allow you to see what the ADC has configured, do some operational config changes from ADM which are pushed to the ADC which owns the entities.  And other centralized logging/reporting (without getting into all the capabilities.)

If this doesn't answer your question, feel free to clarify your question.

Ok, here´s my scenario. 

I´ve got two ADCs (VPX) in my lab, they are synced and contain the same config. I´ve got 1 vserver configured on them and one content switching vserver.

I installed an ADM, which has imported the earlier config done in the ADC (pre-adm).

now, how does ADM handle the pre-adm configured vservers? Same as if i configured it post-adm in the ADM gui? 

The one thing i noticed after the ADM install is that when i tried to use the service used on the pre-adm vserver I was not able to use it in a new setup until I´ve unbound it from it´s previous vserver, after I´ve bound it to the new (post-adm) vserver I could use it for the old (pre-adm) vserver again..  but it might just be how it works.

I can write it down in steps if that easier :)

On 2/20/2020 at 4:38 PM, Paul Blitz said:

Are you talking about "Maintenance Jobs"? if so yes, you can use a complete running config as the basis of a job. Probably easier would be to grab a copy of your ns.conf file, extract the relevant lines, and use the "batch" option

No, just creating a "new application" using policies/object created before I started using the ADM.

ADM can be used to create new lb vservers/cs vserver/gslb vserver and other entities.  When it comes to using existing elements like vserver/services or policies...it depends on which method you use to create them

1) Creating entities AD HOC:  This means you run the creation commands on ADM on the fly under the Network Functions node.  You can edit existing lb vservers/services/cs vserver/gslb vserver, and a few other features.  You can create new lb vservers and associate with existing services/service groups or create new. BUT this interface doesn't expose all lb vserver properties or policies for assignment.  You would need to use TASKS/JOBS or go back to the native console for that instance.

2) Creating entities via JOBS/Tasks:  Since a job can run any command line you can write manually or via the record & plan, you can run any task both cli and shell that you can write a command for.  Add variables to make the task reusable or repeatable. This will give you access to create any entity and reference any existing policy/entity when configuring a target ADC.  And then repeat the task multiple times on same adc with different values or genericize the task to run on multiple adc's.  For a one-and-done task, native management might be easier.

3) Style books:  Style Books are mostly predefined yaml templates that give you the ability to create entities with the parameters/interface you specify. Mostly it is used to create lb vservers and services.  You would have to write custom style books to be able to reference by "hard coding" existing policies to link to a vserver as it doesn't enumerate the environment. While it can be done...this is not easy and native management or tasks are more flexible than stylebooks if you want to work with policy assignment...unless you want to create custom style books with fixed policy names.

4) The Applications node.  Gives you a different view of grouping/managing lb vservers into logical units.  Similar administration as under Network Functions.  

Bottom line:  While you can do a lot in ADM to manage existing entities.  And ADM will see all objects in the managed ADCs' configs regardless of when it was created (before ADM integration or after).  ADM doesn't give you 100% access to all configuration tasks.  So depending on what you are trying to do, if you can't do it through tasks/jobs, you may need to use the native NS interface.  Mapping existing policies to entities is something that the Network Functions and Stylebooks don't do very well; but tasks/jobs can be used for or the native console.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...