Welcome to our new Citrix community!

Random session/connection freezes in XenApp 7.15 CU4 (Server 2016, seamless session)

Stefan Pietsch

Question

We have a strange behaviour randomly on some of our clients:

A user is working as usual in his session and suddenly the whole session freezes. 

- Ending and restarting the Citrix Receiver reconnects the session and it's working again. 

- Disconnecting and reconnecting is also working as a work around.

- When we log off the user on the server side the client's receiver recognizes it and all applications on the client are closed. 

A user might have these freezes several times a day and might not have one freeze at all on the next day. 

Several users are affected, no matter if it's a thin client or a fat client. Affected receivers are at least 4.9.7000, 4.11.0.17061, ...

VDAs are Windows Server 2016 and XenApp 7.15 CU4 provisioned on XenServer 7.1.

It seems as if this happens only in subsidiaries connected by WAN and not in our local office. 

Furthermore we just switched a sub from MPLS to a (very fast) internet connection based vpn tunnel (Riverbed SDWAN). With MPLS the users didn't have the issue, on the SDWAN connection it happens frequently.

A colleague had the problem while working on his notebook in the sub several times a day. Back in the head office he didn't have it once since two weeks, so it definitely seems to be related to the WAN connection somehow. 

Analyzing the WAN connection there is no packet loss, latency is about 25ms.

Any ideas what to check?

Thanks, 

Stefan

9 answers to this question

Hi Anjani, 

as I understand CTX234888 it is addressing Server 2012R2, we are on 2016?

to 1: we have no problems starting applications hence I think this attempt is not related to our problem at all. If it would be we had this issue on all clients in all subs. 

to 2: it happens with (quite powerfull) notebooks and thinclients as well

to 3: the issue is not related to a certain application, it affects the whole session. I wouldn't know which app to run in compatibility mode.

to 4: CTX142357 corresponds to Server 2012R2 and mentioned applicable products are XenApp 7.5 & 7.6, I couldn't find an article for Server 2016?

to 5: ???

to 6: we did not try this, BUT we have about 1000 users working on our servers and this problem affects only a few of them in certain subsidiaries. It is quite sure that this is related to the WAN connection somehow, hence the UPM is very unlikely. 

Cheers, 

Stefan

4 minutes ago, Manoj Rana said:

Hi

You can try this Configure the below registry and put the value 25000 - 
Path - HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Desktop\HungAppTimeout 
Type - Reg_DWORD 
Value - 25000 

Thanks 

Manoj

Hi Manoj, 

on the server or on the client?

I just googled on this registry setting and don't see a relation to our problem, to be honest.

It doesn't seem as if there are any programs hanging. If the user just disconnects and reconnects everything is fine again and all his programs are responsive again. 

To us it seems to be some kind of communication problem between the receiver and the VDA, maybe related to some HDX settings?

Anyway, we'll try it!

Thanks, 

Stefan

Hi Stefan,

This need to setup on the client machine. 

I have seen the issue  in my environment where WfIca’s thread is waiting on screen refresh and from call stack. It was  either Disconnect/Connect, lock/unlock, switch displays, etc. 

You can capture the crash dump of client machine using the procdump and see if this is the same issue.

Thanks 

Manoj

1 hour ago, Manoj Rana said:

Hi Stefan,

This need to setup on the client machine. 

I have seen the issue  in my environment where WfIca’s thread is waiting on screen refresh and from call stack. It was  either Disconnect/Connect, lock/unlock, switch displays, etc. 

You can capture the crash dump of client machine using the procdump and see if this is the same issue.

Thanks 

Manoj

Hi Manoj, 

I see, thanks for the explanation. 

We'll try that. 

Do you know if this registry key needs a reboot of the client? 

If not I would deploy it with a GPP. 

Cheers, 

Stefan