Welcome to our new Citrix community!

I don't clear concept to separate OS Layer in case if I want to separate OS layer to difference to Role and Feature component.

Artimus Aunos

Question

Hello,

Sorry to ask for this. I'm finding information to test App Layer,now.

I suspecting about OS Layer.

In case if I have used Windows 2019 to do it be OS Layer for 3 template as difference about Role and Feature. 

I don't sure how to separate OS Layer to support with 3 template version.  

How can I do to this issue?     

I understood to create OS template the first and set it but for other OS template which change to Role and Some Feature .

2 answers to this question

Roles and features  are installed into the OS layer so they would apply to all images (which are defined in image templates)  that use that OS layer.  It is possible to have different versions of the OS layer have different roles and features but it gets complicated to track. You would have to add a version based on the base version, make the desired changes and use a naming scheme on the version to track changes.  That would allow you to say have versions based on a 1.x naming and others based on a 2.x naming etc..  Then in one template you use the 1.x and the other 2.x.  There are a lot of drawbacks to doing this especially that you would have to patch them separately.  It would be much better just to include the same roles and features in all your images.

Rob

On ‎10‎/‎02‎/‎2020 at 11:05 PM, Rob Zylowski1709158051 said:

Roles and features  are installed into the OS layer so they would apply to all images (which are defined in image templates)  that use that OS layer.  It is possible to have different versions of the OS layer have different roles and features but it gets complicated to track. You would have to add a version based on the base version, make the desired changes and use a naming scheme on the version to track changes.  That would allow you to say have versions based on a 1.x naming and others based on a 2.x naming etc..  Then in one template you use the 1.x and the other 2.x.  There are a lot of drawbacks to doing this especially that you would have to patch them separately.  It would be much better just to include the same roles and features in all your images.

Rob

Dear Rob,

I have 2 questions to ask you.

1. If I want to update Windows Patch.   What step to update Windows Patch?  I do not sure how to use what layer to update Windows Patch. I just started to test Citrix App Layer, too

2. For Anti Virus that I need to install Anti-Virus at OS Layer or not.