Welcome to our new Citrix community!

PVS device upgrade software - domain trust relationship failed

Paul Mathews Main

Question

Hi all,

I've tried to upgrade our PVS device software (for our master image) - 7.15 LTSR to 7.15 CU5 LTSR. However on reboot we are getting an issue connection to the domain

"The trust relationship between this workstation and the primary domain failed"

I've tried a few things so far

1. Resetting machine password in PVS console.

2. Resetting machine password on machine using powershell 

3. Un-joined server from domain in write mode and then re-joined it.

PLEASE NOTE I HAVE NOT UPGRADED THE PVS SERVERS NOR RAN THE DB SCRIPT for CU5 yet (I will be completing it at the weekend). I was hoping to complete the target device software first. Maybe this is the issue ?

Anyone got any other idea's ?

Thanks,

Edited by SMT_FSIL

8 answers to this question

26 minutes ago, Carl Stalhood1709151912 said:

The problem is only on the master? And you're in Maintenance Mode (or Private Mode)? Does it work on Standard Image mode?

I've only tested it on the master. I've tested in 'test' mode but it still is the same.

i've i roll back the version to before the component change then it works with no issue

It's hardly something to do with something missing in the DB schema and will be ok when i upgrade the server and DB components at the weekend?

Edited by SMT_FSIL

Hi SMT_FSIL, 

Double-check that the machine account has both the NetBIOS SPN and the FQDN SPN are present for the machine.  It is a shot in the dark, but something you would not think to check. 

From a command prompt type :  setspn -L computername  

Where computername is the simple netbios name of the computer. 

You need both the HOST/NetBIOS and the HOST/FQDN lines as seen below. 

SPNs.PNG

On 4/3/2020 at 12:13 PM, Michael Erb said:

We have the same issue in our environment. After the PVS device software upgrade to 7.15 CU5 the master and provisioned machines can't register because of failed domain trust.

SPN are fine for all devices.

We've the same problem too. Has anyone solved it?

We want to upgrade from CU3 to CU5. Everything installs fine on the master. After setting the vdisk into standard mode and booting it on another machine the error messager appears on Windows logon.

On 4/8/2020 at 9:59 PM, Domenic Mirwald said:

We've the same problem too. Has anyone solved it?

We want to upgrade from CU3 to CU5. Everything installs fine on the master. After setting the vdisk into standard mode and booting it on another machine the error messager appears on Windows logon.

I tired some more things... Even reverse imaging from the original vhdx with the old target device software doesn't solve the problem. With this step I've made a fresh install of the target device software and a new vhdx with the imaging wizard.

The testing shows me that the problem shows up after the second reboot after the upgrade of the target device software (the first reboot is necessary for finishing the installtion). And it make no difference  if the image will stay in the private mode or is changed to the standard mode. After the problem appears there is no chance to solve it (e.g. rejoining to the Domain => the problem appears again after the second reboot).

I also checked the SPNs and the local password policy. Everything is ok. And there are no ghost NICs present.

I don't want to upgrade the PVS server tomorrow evening when the problem still exist. Or is there an chance that the upgraded PVS server can solve the problem?

Make sure that the PVS Target Device Software and PVS Server versions match. This might seem like a simple statement, but it matters.. This can cause the above issues. It's also important to note that customers should not be upgrading just one side and testing. 

Always upgrade the Target Device and Server software in the one upgrade cycle.