Welcome to our new Citrix community!

Virtualize NVIDIA GPU?

Eric Samstad1709161684

Question

7 answers to this question

You do not need CUDA support if you are just using the GPU for rendering graphics. As Koenraad mentioned above, there are a number of units that are compatible, such as some of the Quadro series (providing just passthough capabilities) and some from the GRID series (which allow for creating virtual GPUs: vGPUs). The latter require in most cases licensing and a separate licenses server to be installed.

-=Tobias

• Like 1

I've got an Intel NUC at home with Intel Iris Pro GPU on board, this might be an option for you?  Lets me carve the GPU into a max of 7 vGPU instances.  Technically the Intel Iris Pro GPU isn't on the HCL but an E3 CPU/GPU combo is for certain server vendors.

It worked great under XenServer 7.x but is not stable under 8.0 (for Windows 10/Server 2016/19 anyway), I'm yet to try 8.1.... newer Intel GPUs may behave differently.  I run a Win7 VM with a vGPU assigned (no Citrix VDA etc installed on that one, it's for a different purpose) and that seems to be fine.

Cheers

Dan

• Like 1
5 hours ago, Daniel Marsh1709157095 said:

I've got an Intel NUC at home with Intel Iris Pro GPU on board, this might be an option for you?  Lets me carve the GPU into a max of 7 vGPU instances.  Technically the Intel Iris Pro GPU isn't on the HCL but an E3 CPU/GPU combo is for certain server vendors.

It worked great under XenServer 7.x but is not stable under 8.0 (for Windows 10/Server 2016/19 anyway), I'm yet to try 8.1.... newer Intel GPUs may behave differently.  I run a Win7 VM with a vGPU assigned (no Citrix VDA etc installed on that one, it's for a different purpose) and that seems to be fine.

Cheers

Dan

Hi Dan,

That's interesting. What's the performance like? Have you done any testing really hammering all the VMs at once with 3D stuff?

Thanks,

Koenraad

• Like 1

Thanks for the helpful responses.  I believe Tensorflow requires CUDA.  The processor in my setup is an i5-9600, which has an integral GPU, but I don't think Tensorflow supports this.

As a hobbyist, I use the 'free" version of XenServer.  So, I'm guessing I can't use 'pass-through".  Would a Linux VM be able to take advantage of an NVIDIA card under these circumstances?

Eric

Hi Eric,

Tensorflow requires an NVIDIA card and thus indeed needs CUDA, so the iGPU won't work for your use case.

As you can see from below Citrix Hypervisor Feature Matrix, the free (now called Express) edition does not include any of the GPU features:

https://www.citrix.com/products/citrix-hypervisor/feature-matrix.html

The standard edition will give you passthrough though.

If you don't want to invest in a Citrix Hypervisor license, I suggest looking into QEMU/KVM:

https://www.server-world.info/en/note?os=CentOS_7&p=kvm&f=10

The learning curve will be a lot steeper than with Citrix Hypervisor though...

Best,

Koenraad

On 2/5/2020 at 4:44 PM, Koenraad Willems said:

That's interesting. What's the performance like? Have you done any testing really hammering all the VMs at once with 3D stuff?

I haven't tested more than one VM running at once, and I only did some basic 3D CAD stuff and a bit of gaming to verify it was working.  I've never used Intel GPU in any customer situations.

Cheers

Dan