Welcome to our new Citrix community!

VPX SNIP not pingable?

Yuki Hisano

In a HA pair of VPXs I have a common SNIP configured on them.

This SNIP does not seem to be sending a GARP towards the TOR switches. I see the arp entries for the NSIPs from both with no issues but I cannot get the SNIP on the arp table on the TOR switches. The SNIP is on the same subnet as the NSIPs. From the primary VPX, I can ping the SNIP IP, while the secondary VPX cannot. I can ping either NSIPs from my PC but the SNIP. I am at a very initial stage of the configuration of these boxes. Is there anything I need to do to have SNIP reachable from servers/users? 

In principle, you should be able to ping the SNIP, just like the NSIP (assuming there isn't something like an ACL stopping it). Even without GARP, if a device wants to ping something, it will send an ARP request.... There's no settings that I can see that will stop the ping responses on the netscaler.

Pinging the SNIP from the primary VPX will work, as it's happening WITHIN the VPX! Check obvious things (like is there any VLAN etc settings on the switch?) 

9 hours ago, Paul Blitz said:

In principle, you should be able to ping the SNIP, just like the NSIP (assuming there isn't something like an ACL stopping it). Even without GARP, if a device wants to ping something, it will send an ARP request.... There's no settings that I can see that will stop the ping responses on the netscaler.

Pinging the SNIP from the primary VPX will work, as it's happening WITHIN the VPX! Check obvious things (like is there any VLAN etc settings on the switch?) 

Ok - thanks for the input. As for the SNIP or its relevant configs, SNIP is on the same subnet as NSIPs, and should be visible from the adjacent switches just like NSIPs are visible in my opinion. In this case the SNIP for some reason is not visible from the switches. I know this is a very basic stuff but I wanted to make sure my expectation is right and  I am not missing anything here..

I will keep tinkering.